Oil Spray Bar

Andi

Hi,

Im about to change my cam cover for a " posher" one and due to some horror stories Ive read on the web I

want to replace the oil spray bar.

Are there any tips or pitfalls to doing this or is it fairly straight forwards.

Regards

Andi

Is it pinto you are running?

No problem here if it is.

3 small bolts hold it in.

When you have changed turn the engine over on the starter to make sure you have 8 jets of oil.

Yes messy but better than replacing the cam.

Just like I didn't and the cam followers disintegrated.

Guest Nigel Novice

Ford had an issue with spray bay back in the early Cortina days but it was sorted with an improved spray bar with bigger holes, only poor servicing can hurt them now with sludge build up

The central fixing is not well designed and may not hold the seal square to the oilway in the central cam pillar. A little gentle bending of all the securing tabs but especially the middle one is a good idea to make sure a good seal is achieved. And don't forget the O ring/gasket.

Nigel

Guest Deano 777

Hi, sorry to steal this topic. i have a upgraded (high pressure) oil pump in my pinto 205 block, also a kent cam with moded spray bar, is it normal when you remove the filler cap (with the engine running) to see the oil pass over the small baffell at a very fast flow???? i am still running engine in. i have a small amount of oil pushing up the dip stick, i think i may have overfilled the oil, it is hard to tell what the volume (level) should be as i have a moded sump. can anyone with a shortend sump tell me their volume in litres please. :(

Guest Deano 777

new breather cap fitted, will need to double check crank case breather/ valve. I did have the oil to the full level on the dip stick, that was 6 litres! of oil, the only thing was that it pumped the unwanted oil in to my oil catch tank then all over the underside of my floorpan. now reduced level to 4 litres, after a good run the catch tank is empty, and i am just over the min mark on the stick.i will reduce to 3 litres and keep my eye on the oil pressure gauge on a few hard corners. thanks. Dean

Dean, something is not right with the oil situation in your car. It is normal, regardless of what sump shape/size you have to fill to the full position on the dip stick. This gives you the correct level so you get as much in as needed but the level stays below the crank so the crank does not whip it to a froth! You need to double check the level. Measure the length of your dipstick pipe, top to block and your dipstick, shoulder to full mark and post it up. I don't have a pinto any more so can't help with these measurements but I'm sure the are several other helpful bods who will pop out to their cars with a tape-measure tomorrow and check!

If this checks out then you need to look at your engine breathing.

Nigel

Guest osteve123

Hi guy's,

Was reading the Burtons catalogue today whilst in the waiting room at hospital!!!!! I can't remember everything, although you have got to get it right with these sort of problems. Or you will ruin your engine!!!! Get a burtons catalogue sent to you & it has reasons about oil problems, what to check etc. An engine with too much oil is just as bad as that with none - you'll see why!!!!!.

Their no. is 0208 5189192 or www.burtonpower.com

Hope this helps,

Steve

Guest Deano 777

thanks for your help guys, i have not yet measured my dip stick, not sure if this would shine some light, but i have joint the two breather hoses from the rocker cover and crank case into one hose, then into a catch tank that is mounted down on the n/s, near steering rack (below crank case level), it has one inlet and one outlet on the outlet i have fitted a small piper x breather filter. i will try disconnecting the breather hoses from the catch tank and let them breath to atmosphere, does anyone have any other options? Thanks again Dean

Guest Deano 777
Hi Deano,

It appears to be standard practice to mount the catch tank high up in the engine bay, having said that I dont think it would cause your problem.

i will re mount it up near the pedal box, that may help.