Sorry To Panic Everyone One But ....

Guest ACE

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MacMustang

Oh poo.

My first SVA is on Monday... I'm hoping the failure list won't be that long and I can get it through by Feb... working 55 hours a week and having a 10 month old baby doesn't help though :(

If your car fails in Feb and can't be re presented until April it will be BIVA NOT SVA it has to comply with.

ACE is about the creeping tide of anti car legislations and how it affects all but especially ALL car modifiers that need to stand togeher to fight it. No one section ,including kit car market, is big enough to fight it alone.

ACE is not looking at the BIVA from any other slant other than how it affects all car modifiers , even those who are used to SVA already..

The concerns about ABS are because BIVA is NOT yet formalised, all it is at the moment is a set of requested exclusions ( still be be agreed by Europe ) from ECWVTA , a set of rules that WILL be law in April .

Please understand that thisinfo is not from the bloke down the pub who's uncles second cousin knows a SVA tester, this is from direct contact with the head of SVA at VOSA and from high contacts in DfT.

FROM VOSA

A fellow builder "Paul" has called VOSA and talked direct to them, they say that there is a great deal of unecessary panic amongst the kit car fraternity.

First the only difference is head restraints on the seat or fixed to the roll bar

A reversing gear for the bike engined boys

reversing lights

a working horn

Tyres that are both correctly speed rated and now legal for the road, tread depth/condition.

No ABS was mentioned for self built kit cars

BOOKING THE TEST

If you book a test for the end February you will be tested under the old SVA rules, if you fail you have 6 months (July) to re present the car for £38 and will be tested only on the fail points under the old SVA rules.

The new test cost has not been confirmed but there's no smoke witout fire.

If you don't know for sure stop raising panic, the VOSA guys are very very helpfull and if you are unsure, ring them up, then you will know for sure.

Don't PANIC

Guest Ian & Carole
If your car fails in Feb and can't be re presented until April it will be BIVA NOT SVA it has to comply with

Interesting :o

Dont seem able to post two quotes at once, this is lifted from Pauls post :huh:

If you book a test for the end February you will be tested under the old SVA rules, if you fail you have 6 months (July) to re present the car for £38 and will be tested only on the fail points under the old SVA rules.

Here we go again right hand left hand????????? :rolleyes:

Guest robinj66

I've just received a Newsletter from VOSA this morning. It states the following...

IVA becomes mandatory on 29th April 2009.

SVA applications will not be accepted after 28th February 2009 ("..this will allow applications which are received up to and including 28th Feb 2009 to be processd and these vehicles examined by 28th April 2009...")

It is also clear that if a car is not inspected for SVA before 29th April 2009 it will then proceed by way of IVA.

If a car undergoes SVA before 29th April but fails then that vehicle "will be allowed up to 6 months in which to be re-presented for a re-examination as provided for in current regulations"

This seems to suggest that a retest in these circs will be under SVA regs and not IVA.

Hope this clears up any confusion

BTW I am nothing to do with VOSA - just a "customer" like the rest of you ;)

Guest MacMustang

Spoke with the SVA examiner today and his advice was pretty much the same. Providing you have the application in the system by 28th Feb you'll be tested under the SVA rules up until IVA comes in.

As I failed today I basically got told that I have 6 months to fix the bits and book a retest. On the restest I'll be retested on the failure points under the SVA guidlines.

Guest osteve123

As I failed today I basically got told that I have 6 months to fix the bits and book a retest. On the restest I'll be retested on the failure points under the SVA guidlines.

Good news to hear!!! And thanks aswell robin.....

Steve

Our info comes from head of SVA not some local tester.Would you care to name the person on the VOSA letter so we can take it up with the head of the department please? It is also the basis that BIMTA ( British Importers Motor Trade Association )are working on.

The BIVA is STILL not finalised but there is a draft manual available online . I'll repeat as many still haven't grasped that the ECWVTA is a law that comes into force on 1/4/ 2008 , IVA and BIVA are a set of exemptions that are still being worked on and reviewed by Europe. There was a consultation document raised by the DfT for peoples input into the process. There is no final report of the results yet.

If you would care to actually visit the ACE site you will find links DIRECT to all the relevant paperwork held on VOSA and DfT websites NOT hearsay.

Draft BIVA :-

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository...nger%20cars.pdf

Consultation details

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/closed/typeapproval/

Brief of differences

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/proposed-new-biva-scheme.html

Table 9 confirms the proposed cost of £540 :-

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:4FtFBU...nk&cd=19#16

Confirmation of closure of offices in March from DfT ( bearing in mind VOSA not Dft are the ones implmenting it .

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/snake-watch...tails-here.html

Nearly forgot I can't see how a car can be retested for up to 6 montsh after SVA had disappeared when MAC's for SVA'd cars are only valid for one montsh after BIVA comes into being ( again the information that BIMTA are working to )

Edited by ACE

Guest ReadingTrev

What a disappointingly aggressive response from ACE, especially given his info is incorrect.

I too have had the official newsletter from VOSA, it is clearly worded and robinj66 is quite correct in everything he writes.

SVA applications accepted till 28th Feb 2009, SVA examinations done till 29th April 2009. If it fails, 6 months to have an SVA retest.

If your application is received after 28th Feb OR your initial examination is not seen till after 29th April, IVA rules apply.

Simple.

Regards,

Trevor.

www.sylvamojo.blogspot.com

Edited for spelling mistakes!

Guest the_invalid

I spoke to Mike Budd the chap who administers a lot of the SVA at the DVLA in Swansea on Monday,

He confirmed, after a few minutes talking and conferring with someone else that:

All applications for an SVA test must be received by Feb 28 2009

All applications received after that date will be booked in for a BIVA test with the associated charges.

Any vehicle failing an SVA test up to 28 February will have 6 months to resubmit it under SVA rules.

If anyone doesnt believe that then ring the man