And The Stig Is... (from Mirror Website)

baj25

The secret identity of Top Gear's Stig revealed By Mirror.co.uk 20/01/2009

The secret of the man behind Top Gear’s cult character the Stig has been spoiled.

The identity of the crash-helmeted driver who speed test drives cars on the hit show had been fiercely guarded by the BBC.

Thirty three year old former racer and stuntman, Ben Collins, let his big secret slip at an art store in Bristol where he was trying to get a print of Stig in action for his wall. Now his fate hangs in the balance.

Staff at the corporation are said to be furious at the ‘outing’ which has been compared to revealing that Santa doesn’t exist.

Many Top Gear fans speculated that he had been replaced by a celebrity, or even a real racing driver such as former Formula One champ Damon Hill.

Stig's name comes from Jeremy Clarkson’s days at Repton School where new pupils were always given the nickname.

Fans had speculated Ben Collins was the Stig on YouTube, where clips showing him interviewed on TV are compared to footage of him talking as Stig.

The BBC refused to comment today and nor would Collins. However, an insider on the show has been quoted as saying to The Times: “You wouldn't write a piece saying that Santa didn't exist.”

i always assumed it was various people to avoid problems with filming if one was ill or sick. It would make it easy for them to be replaced just stick another driver in a white suit and off you go. guess i was wrong by the sound of it...

i always assumed it was various people to avoid problems with filming if one was ill or sick. It would make it easy for them to be replaced just stick another driver in a white suit and off you go. guess i was wrong by the sound of it...

You are right there are 2 Stigs for the exact reason you list. B)

The bearded one on Fifth gear said it was Tiff Needell on Monday night??

There's been a few different ones. Pretty sure Matt Neal done a couple and you can't mistake that Lanky bugger. How he gets in a Touring car is beyond me.

It's long been suspected that Ben was the Stig but I would be surprised if he let it slip. Great advertising for TG though :D