First Sva

Andy Cook

Car had its first SVA at Newcastle today. Failed on a total of 34 points :vava:

Main ones being,

• Evidence required showing engine age.

• Evidence required to show parking brake cable fittings.

• O/S seat insecure.

• Parking brake cannot be applied from driving position.

• Emissions above limit.

• Front lower ball joint not fitted with locking devise.

• Lower inner seatbelt mountings inadequate strength.

• Evidence required showing rear subframe to chassis mountings.

• Steering does not show sings of self centering.

Need to modify the rear angle plate that runs underneath the seats, so that it bolts to the chassis. (The design of the super spec just has it bolted to the floor pan). This should secure the seats and give the belt mounts adequate strength.

Emissions were way to high, will have to set the carbs up properly.

Self centering might be interesting as I put 35psi in the front tires and set quit a bit of “toe in” angle as I have been told this can help. Any other ideas?

Engine documentation is a bit of a bummer as I’ve looked into this before and hit a brick wall with regard to Vauxhall engines.

I am quite happy with the results as the car was thrown together somewhat to get a test on it before the new regs come in. I can now spend a couple of months and finish it properly in time for a retest.

Just like to say a big thanks to all who’ve helped me get this far.

Andy

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Andy

That is a nice "to do" list, I have seen much larger ones on here and the day mine failed at Beverly on 5 points the guy in the other line had TWO FOOLSCAPE SHEETS of fail points!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get started and tick them off one at a time with photo proof if needed of what you have done, hey presto one MAC.

• 2 weeks later...

My 3a passed first time at beverley on Monday. As for self centreing I set the castor to three degrees with home made gauge and plumb line (monocoque chassis with adjustable tie bars). Original Ron Champion book gives 5.30 degrees of castor.

Hope this helps The Spanner Man

Car had its first SVA at Newcastle today. Failed on a total of 34 points :vava:

Main ones being,

• Evidence required showing engine age.

• Evidence required to show parking brake cable fittings.

• O/S seat insecure.

• Parking brake cannot be applied from driving position.

• Emissions above limit.

• Front lower ball joint not fitted with locking devise.

• Lower inner seatbelt mountings inadequate strength.

• Evidence required showing rear subframe to chassis mountings.

• Steering does not show sings of self centering.

Need to modify the rear angle plate that runs underneath the seats, so that it bolts to the chassis. (The design of the super spec just has it bolted to the floor pan). This should secure the seats and give the belt mounts adequate strength.

Emissions were way to high, will have to set the carbs up properly.

Self centering might be interesting as I put 35psi in the front tires and set quit a bit of “toe in” angle as I have been told this can help. Any other ideas?

Engine documentation is a bit of a bummer as I’ve looked into this before and hit a brick wall with regard to Vauxhall engines.

I am quite happy with the results as the car was thrown together somewhat to get a test on it before the new regs come in. I can now spend a couple of months and finish it properly in time for a retest.

Just like to say a big thanks to all who’ve helped me get this far.

Andy

Andy,

I have a 2004 SuperSpec (bought 2007 and still to be tested) and I've not heard of a fail on the "rear subframe to chassis mountings". The plate on the bottom of my car runs the whole width of the car and is much bigger than the original SuperSpec plate which just reinforced the inner seat belt mountings and held the handbrake cable.

Has anyone else had problems with this plate mounting? Is it really an 'subframe' since no part of the drive train or suspension is attached to it?

Also the complaint about the handbrake is worrying since all SuperSpecs have the handbrake on the passenger side and have passed before.

What sort of locking device is required on the lower ball joint? I torqued mine up with Studlock on the threads and its going to be a problem getting the nut off.

Regards,

John (jwts).

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

It didn’t actually fail on the rear sub-frame to chassis mountings; he just wants to see some photos of how it fits together.

When I say sub-frame I mean the rear axle assembly (he was concerned that the large rubber mounts are cut off for fitment into the Super-Spec).

As regards the under floor plate, mine was one of the last S-Specs so has the full width plate. He failed it because it did not attach to any structural part of the car (only bolts up to the floor pan).

My handbrake is on the tunnel top but it was a little to far back so was awkward to apply.

The lower ball joint problem is the way the joint itself screws into the wishbone (fitted by Robin Hood). The issue is there is no locking devise to stop it from unscrewing.

I was going to fit something before it went on the road anyway (I’ve heard the horror stories).

Newcastle is apparently a strict station. The bloke didn’t have much to say about Robin Hood kit design and to be honest I agree with him.

Andy

What is it with everyone on this site quoting HUGE blocks of text?

Firstly Andy you are not the first and won't be the last person trying to date a vauxhall engine!

There isn't really a way to prove your engine age as GM do not issue official proof from just the engine number.

If you have the logbook from the engine donor that is ok.

If not, find your engine number ( left side bell housing flange) the engine type code is stamped before the engine number.

If it is C20XE you need a cat

If it is a 20XE then you don't.

Another way, but this isn't proof of the engine age, just the age of the head, is take the oil cap off, look in, there is a circle stamped into the cam bearing cap. mine is 90, meaning 1990.

Another way is by the cam belt. early engines had round tooth belts later ones were square. You need to find out when they stopped making the round tooth engines and there is proof the engine was made before that date.

Good luck!

Thanks some interesting points there,

Unfortunately my tester will only accept a letter from Vauxhall stating engine serial number and the year it was produced, no exceptions. At the end of the day he is looking to date the engine block which could have been swapped to a different logbook or had a different head fitted.

I have however got in touch with a chap at Vauxhall who for a small fee (£100) will conduct a search. He makes no promises that he will find the number and fee is none refundable.

That is a total rip-off. No way on earth does it cost GM £100 to enter a code in their computer then send you a printout. And as for still charging if he cannot get the data, that is the biggest load of balls I've ever heard.

What is this blokes name by the way?

Ste

Guys name is Jonathan bell. Found his name mentioned on the locost builders forum.

Don’t know if he comes up with the prices but if anyone finds themselves in the same boat as me then I can PM his details.

Andy

Ball-joint locking--I made a lock washer (elongated tear-drop) to fit under the ball-joint & steel rivetted the small end to the wish-bone;then with the joint done up murder tight, knocked up the washer into the castillations around the ball.

Guest Ian & Carole
Best one so far was 5 pages - on a Caterham!!

That statment will make an awful lot of builders on here feel really good.

It certainly has me with my 3 tiny fail points.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ian & Carole
Ahhhhhhh..... no the car was just frightening..

But since my last post we have had an eight page fail, written in very small writing. It was a pre SVA kit!!

Andy.

Thats proof we need SVA / IVA.

Thats proof we need SVA / IVA.

I know people moan about some of the "dubious" requirements but atleast you know if you pass that the car is probably not going to coffin you the first time out.

Mine is just starting to come together now and although it's taken an age, I'm confident that every nut and bolt, rivet and screw, is complete and am actually happy that someone is going to give it a through once over to find out any bits I've forgotten.

I expect to fail first time but hopefully not on anything serious.