Rear Suspension Setup?

Knock-on

How has everyone got their rear suspension set up?

My suspension slides into the bottom of the roll bar and is fixed by a bolt through the roll bar and top of the suspension.

However, I'm wondering whether it's been fixed too low or if it's too soft?

When you stand on the spare wheel mount and bounce up an down, the bottom of the dif hits the ground? Now, before anyone says anything about pies and who ate them all....... :D

Is this normal? Has it been mounted too low or should I just wind the suspension up a bit?

Cheers.

hi,

are you using the original springs and shocks from the seirra? my car seems to be pretty good with the original springs and shocks, not too hard not too soft and it doesnt bottom out. As long as there is enough tube left there is no reason why you cant drill a hole further up the inner pipe to raise the ride height. Mine is currently too high as i had it too low and redrilled about 1.5 inches higher which changes the height quite considerably. Got to drill a hole between at some point and hope it will be the perfect height. It doesnt take long to drop it all down, less than an hours work including jacking and drilling and doing nuts up etc probably even faster. hth

hi,

are you using the original springs and shocks from the seirra? my car seems to be pretty good with the original springs and shocks, not too hard not too soft and it doesnt bottom out. As long as there is enough tube left there is no reason why you cant drill a hole further up the inner pipe to raise the ride height. Mine is currently too high as i had it too low and redrilled about 1.5 inches higher which changes the height quite considerably. Got to drill a hole between at some point and hope it will be the perfect height. It doesnt take long to drop it all down, less than an hours work including jacking and drilling and doing nuts up etc probably even faster. hth

Mine uses the original Sierra green uprights.

It looks like the previous builder had chopped a bit of the housing off in what I assume is to lower the car.

Problem is, I don't know how far the unit extends into the housing. Anyone know?

I think I will drop them down an inch and redrill the unit using the same hole on the housing.

post-1962-1236678544_thumb.jpg

Guest shaggy

I would consider replacing standard sierra springs (too much travel) for a set of coil overs. I changed to AVO's 10" springs and 300lb rating - never bottomed out on the road since.

I have a set of 8" coil overs spare (minus springs) which you may be tempted with. Alls you'd need to do is mount them slightly lower in the frame to get the righ ride height.

Si

I would consider replacing standard sierra sprins (too much travel) for a set of coil overs. I changed to AVO's 10" springs and 300lb rating - never bottomed out on the road since.

I have a set of 8" coil overs spare (minus springs) which you may be tempted with. Alls you'd need to do is mount them slightly lower in the frame to get the righ ride height.

Si

Thanks for the advice.

However, in the meantime, shall I move the units down and redrill? What length of tube is above the suspension unit does anyone know?

Guest Ian & Carole

Larry / Simon

If you blow the pic up a bit they look very much like the good old fasioned zimmers!!!!!!!!!

So moving the mount might improve things but not a lot.

Think new coil overs are called for sadly, but if they are zimmers they will need replacing soon any way.

Im with Zed on this one.

I used standard Sierra springs with a pair of new shockers for 5 years.

They worked very well, until I fitted the XE, when I decided to go for adjustable GAZ units.

If you can get hold of some front McP struts you can go back to the standard setup very cheaply.

The GAZ (or other) coilover route will be pretty expensive in comparison.

What length of tube is above the suspension unit does anyone know?

Only the original builder I expect.

These are an item you make up yourself from bits of the Sierra McP strut. As an intrim step, certainly try pulling the tube down a bit.

The location points mean that the car will lift up by about 1 & 1/2 times the amount you lift the strut.

HTH Bob

Guest chris brown
Mine uses the original Sierra green uprights.

Problem is, I don't know how far the unit extends into the housing. Anyone know?

They defiantly look like Zimmers so if the car has done more than 3 or 4k miles think about changing them asap. IIRC if they are Zimmers then the top U mounting had around 5" of tube welded onto it. Lifting the back end as others have said will help a little but the main problem is the shocks were never up to the job in the first place.

Thanks for all the help chaps.

Step one is SVA and for that I will try to get another inch clearance by dropping them.

Step 2 is to sort out the handleing post SVA and I think I have an engineering company I am going to use for Wishbone conversion and setting the rear up.

Cheers

KO

• 4 months later...

i have the same setup and they are set higher, it still grounds out if you have more than one FB in the car. I want to change mine over to the GAZ shocks.

From looking at others i need to weld a mounting bracket to the end of the tube to achieve this. does anyone know where i can purchase these from or will i have to make them (Much easier if someone else makes them)

thanks

keith