Pond Edging- Help!

baj25

We put a pond in our garden a year or two back, and for some reason I chose a green/blue liner. We want a ‘natural’ look, so the edges are gently sloping rather than vertical. The problem is that the liner colour really stands out (and boy am I getting some ear-ache over it!) so I want to cover it up, ideally with something that will allow the surrounding grass to grow right up to the waters edge. I tried Hessian sacks but they rotted before the grass could take hold. Any ideas folks? TIA, Brian

IMG_3509.jpg

That's not a graden - It's a field! :D

Have you thought about edging stones, cobbles or bits of broken slabs etc?

The grass should grow over them in time.

Alternatively, you could take a slice off the underlying soil where the liner folds over.

Basically, lift the liner away - remove some soil (a couple of inches should do) - put the liner back and cover with the soill you've removed. That should be enough to allow the grass to creep to the water's edge?

Guest shaggy

How about something a bit rugged. I have mine in Welsh slate from a quary in N Wales. Bit of a treck to get it but great off roading in the land rover towing a trailor to fetch it back.

post-1907-1237459492_thumb.jpg

Guest peter2b2002

I did the same as Grizzly it allows excess water to run off and for frogs & newt to get in and out also hedgehogs, helps if you have some thing like Simon's around part of the edge though.

peter2b

you can just turf it. Our pond has turfs right up to the water over the plastic. You will find it difficult to get soil to stay in place whilst waiting for the grass to grow but if its already a turf it will have roots binding it together. If you dont want to buy turf cut 1.5ft turfs from the edge you have and shift them over the plastic then seed the gap behind. couple of months and you wont see any joins. hth

You can buy pea-gravel stuck to butyl rubber (may-be PVC) on the roll from aquatic garden centres,but it's rather expensive-- grass right to the waters edge is cheap but takes for-ever--the ducks that fly in see it as dinner at beak height. The liner on our pond is black so not so noticable;do you have an over-skirt over the edge of your liner going down into the water about 18" ? If not the sunlight will degrade your liner where it's not protected by water or rock cover.

Thanks for replies gents. I don't fancy stone around the edge but I like the idea of 'sinking' the top of the liner into the ground a bit. I've got about 18" of liner as a sort of lip all around the edge as well- I don't think it needs to be so much, so cutting it back a bit should help get turf up to the water's edge. Thanks again, Brian