Rover 2ltr T Series

Guest jwts

Hi,

I have a Rover 2ltr T-series engine in my almost finished SuperSpec. it ticks over at 1500 when cold and 1050 when hot. I used to have one of these engines in a Rover and that ticked over at 850ish.

I believe the tickover is set by the ECU and there are no adjustments I can make? When the throttle is closed it there is some slack in the throttle cable so the throttle is not being held open by the cable.

Is a tickover of 1050 acceptable for an IVA test?

John (jwts).

John, it might be worth trying Jez's ECU. My first one ticked over at 1500 (even when warm) Thankfully RH had a replacement. Yours is not as bad as mine was but my tick over now is around 850 - 900 when warm

Will

Hi,

I have a Rover 2ltr T-series engine in my almost finished SuperSpec. it ticks over at 1500 when cold and 1050 when hot. I used to have one of these engines in a Rover and that ticked over at 850ish.

I believe the tickover is set by the ECU and there are no adjustments I can make? When the throttle is closed it there is some slack in the throttle cable so the throttle is not being held open by the cable.

Is a tickover of 1050 acceptable for an IVA test?

John (jwts).

There is an adjustment.. The throttle position i.e the position held by the cable when the pedal is released.. is used as the basis for the auto zero recalibration on the Mems ECU's you have ... so if you have the cable just a fraction wrong the Mems relearns the idle position incorrectly when it backs the stepper on ignition off.

Mine now sits about 950 but the adsjustment I know is still marginal and intend to play again can't put my hand on the bit of paper I had with description of the cable setting.. although the feeler gauge position with the engine EAST WEST was easy to ger to whilst in the North South its very hard to see ..

Regards

You could try turning the ignition on, (don't start the engine) press the accelerator down fully 6 times in quick succession, the stepper motor gives a rattle, turn ignition off for 1 minute then start it, see if that helps

That will reset MEMS ECU but the actual no throttle position will be set by the current position of throttle butter fly, which may not be fully closed depends on the cable adjustment

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jwts
You could try turning the ignition on, (don't start the engine) press the accelerator down fully 6 times in quick succession, the stepper motor gives a rattle, turn ignition off for 1 minute then start it, see if that helps

Peter.

I've tried this but I don't get a noise from the stepper motor until I turn the ignition off. It seems to be the same noise I get every time I turn the ignition off.

Is there some step I'm missing out?

Regards,

John.

You might want to try this to set the base idle (with the engine hot):

Turn on the ignition and wait 10 seconds then remove the stepper motor plug.

Turn off the ignition and wait 30 seconds or until you hear the main relay click out.

Next replace the stepper motor plug and turn on the ignition and wait 10 seconds.

Remove the stepper motor plug again. Turn off the ignition and wait 30 seconds etc.

Then repeat once more this will ensure the stepper motor is fully closed. Now with the stepper motor plug disconnected start the engine and set the idle speed with the throttle stop screw. Then replace the stepper motor plug.