Clutch Biting Very Low

speedtripledan

I,ve got a feeling that my clutch pressure plate has had it .the gearbox became difficult this weekend just replaced the cable due to exhaust damage and the clutch is biting almost as soon as you move your foot off. the ratchet is working

Anyone got any ideas before i haul the engine out :(

if it is the clutch plate has anyone got any ideas for a standard one of good quality which can handle 150hp this one has done 1000miles and one barkstone. :unknw:

Dan

These are the bits of the self adjuster with the pedal removed for clarity. Toothed quadrant is clear to rotate. Toothed ratchet mounts on front of pedal and can pivot to engage teeth to lock the quadrant to the pedal or release to allow the spring to pull back free cable. Lifting the pedal pushes the ratchet down onto the tongue welded to the side of the servo housing and disengages the ratchet teeth from the quadrant freeing it to take up the slack in the clutch cable. As soon as the pedal is again pressed the ratchet teeth lock into the new position on the quadrant effectively giving automatic adjustment of the clutch.

That's how it's supposed to work. I will leave you to decide what to do with yours.

Nigel

post-21-1243450937_thumb.jpg

I think the mod you are after is one ive seen a few people do. Basically you fill the groove the cable runs in. either put something in the bottom that the cable runs on or add a plate on the outside of the quadrant that the cable runs over. By doing this you are making the circle bigger and hence pulling the cable further. You could also buy a black quadrant which i believe is bigger and does the same job.

My clutch is annoying as it works perfectly from cold but when the engine is warm it doesnt pull quite enough i can only assume the cable and other bits expand with the heat :huh: . I'll probably be doing something similar myself pretty soon.

hth

I,ve just gone out to it and had another look, i,ve just bent the ratchet stop so it does not release when the peddle is at rest, took all the slack out and it now bites where i want it to, still think its the pressure plate at fault i,m going to get a comp one at some point but hopefully this will see the summer out, if not i,ll try the idea you suggested.

Thanks