Will I Need A Brake Servo?

Guest smartfazer

Guest smartfazer

2B Zetec 2ltr Discs front, Drums rear.

Just wondering whether I should use a servo for the brakes. I was not going to use one, having been used to an Elise S1, but I seem to be seeing a lot of installations recently with the servo retained, even the RH DVD shows one having been fitted.

PS: still looking for the adjuster bits and pieces for the rear drums.

Guest Ian & Carole

As Nigel says it really is personal.

I am much happier with our car without one, used to scare the c***p out of me on bumpy Dales Moors type roads and even more so in the wet.

Guest Monkeystriker

I am trying out a remote servo as there is not alot of space under the bonnet, not got the car running yet but will let you know how it works when I do.

Guest woolly

as you have a split system don't think you can use a remote servo with out upsetting the balance to much.

i am in two minds about a servo, mine has , and is too sharp and you need to remember to apply carefully. so not to clever really.

i would like a bias pedal box, after finding the correct master bores should be a big improvement. plus i should get a bit more leg room.

woolly

Guest smartfazer

Thanks Nigel,

Will email GMS Capri Spares or better still, will give them a call.

I have decided non-servo with standard "Dual Circuit" Sierra Master Cylinder.

Guest Ian & Carole
Thanks Nigel,

Will email GMS Capri Spares or better still, will give them a call.

I have decided non-servo with standard "Dual Circuit" Sierra Master Cylinder.

This is the way we went, all you need is a different pushrod from pedal to cylinder.

Bought ours from Tiger racing, about a tenner.

If you give them a ring and tell them what you are doing they will know exactly what you want.

Running a 3a with no servo just fine. Cut up the old servo for the push rod (clips to brake pedal). Mounted master cylinder (suplied RH) with a bit of box section to take up thickness of servo. Ball end of push rod just sits in master cylinder cup, can't fall out with pedal right back. Run one brake pipe to rear through unmodified mini brake limiter, spare outlets an master cylinder and limiter blanked with blead nipples (limiter has concave seat but seals well). Why run without a servo? By the time I had the engine positioned, pedal box mounted (6ft 4in) and the stearing shaft to miss alternator I'd run out of room for one. Drive like a motorbike, apply the brake and squeeze the pedal (good feed back). Can still lock the fronts no problem, PS: passed SVA with good front/Back bias (can adjust by modifying limiter -do a search or post).

inmyho you dont need a servo on a seven , you may get a twitch on the bum the first time you try to stop withought one but you soon get used to it .

with a servo the brakes will lock up at the first time you use them in anger and you have no control in that situation

panic !hit the brakes with one and a mess will ensue .

just my opinion .

graham

i use my car as an everyday beast, and i am used to the assistance. I tried it unassisted for a while but i got tired of pulling up on th steering wheel to get it to stop. It's very much 'each to their own'. That said a smaller diameter servo cylinder could match up nicely, but I'm only hypothesizing there....