Which Carbs For St170 Duratec

Guest dinger

I have now ordered my Zero and have decided on using an ST170 Duratec engine, I could run the std management but could come across issues like the speed sensor for good idle and not stalling everytime i stop, Emissions would be spot on but may need to run the full ford loom including dash loom, Also may foul bonnet.

My other option is to run bike carbs. but could I have issues with emissions for IVA? which Bike carbs would be suitable or has anyone fitted the full Duratec or Zetec management setup?

This is the first of many stupid questions, be warned, Lol

Dave

P.s. did I hear somewhere that if your kit car is registered on a Q plate the emission test in done on pre 1972?

Guest graham.g

The Ford st170 engine is a zetec engine, It was ford who badged it as a duratec for some strange reason.

There is no way you would get this through IVA with carbs, you will have to run fuel injection.

Graham

I can get everything from an st170 engine bay so may pay to figure out the pin locations on the ecu to run std management, as said before the difficult bit will be the speed sensor, Unless someone knows of a way round it,

I know that some electronic speedo's have a converter from the mechanical pic up, if so I can use the Ford Focus clocks as well.

Guest oddsocks
I have now ordered my Zero and have decided on using an ST170 Duratec engine, I could run the std management but could come across issues like the speed sensor for good idle and not stalling everytime i stop, Emissions would be spot on but may need to run the full ford loom including dash loom, Also may foul bonnet.

My other option is to run bike carbs. but could I have issues with emissions for IVA? which Bike carbs would be suitable or has anyone fitted the full Duratec or Zetec management setup?

This is the first of many stupid questions, be warned, Lol

Dave

P.s. did I hear somewhere that if your kit car is registered on a Q plate the emission test in done on pre 1972?

If your get the lastest kit car mag it has quite good info on the IVA. But the just of it is the age of the engine determains the emissions figures. But if you cant prove the engines age it will default to 1992 which means you have to put a cat on.

Buy the mag its worth it for a basic run through of IVA.

And no i dont work for them!!

Jamie

Guest graham.g

It may be very difficult to use the standard management, Modern ecu's especially in the Focus run everything including the alarm system etc. It maybe easier using an aftermarket ecu.

The MT75 gearbox was fitted with an electronic speed sensor, but I would doubt it would work on the Focus setup.

Graham

having done this convertion i would recomend a cat t/ boddies and a programable ecu

carbs i feel will not pass iva .

also having had twin webbers on a xflow for a time the expence of having to have them ballanced and set up on

a continual basis on the rr road , you will soon recoup the additional cost .

also a well set up injection system wiil start first time it will idle and will always work .

it cant do anything else unless its brocken .

as the programme wont allow it to be wrong .

graham

having done this convertion i would recomend a cat t/ boddies and a programable ecu

carbs i feel will not pass iva .

also having had twin webbers on a xflow for a time the expence of having to have them ballanced and set up on

a continual basis on the rr road , you will soon recoup the additional cost .

also a well set up injection system wiil start first time it will idle and will always work .

it cant do anything else unless its brocken .

as the programme wont allow it to be wrong .

graham

Thanks Graham,

I was waiting for your reply as I remember you saying you had done this, and that was where my choice of engine came from, Did you have any issues mapping the varible cam timing?

As i will be using various new and secand hand parts and the car will be mostly track use, I have accepted that the car will be on a Q plate, I could use a new zetec unit and be lucky to get it on a new reg, however, more power on the track out ways the new reg.

Hi Paul, I'm aware that it is a zetec underneath the Duratec badge, which is one of the reasons the st170 engine I want to use, The later Duratec from a mondeo or fiesta st150 is an option and to buy as the engine is cheaper but there are other issues that will cost more in the end,

So many things going round in my head as most of you can understand,

Thanks for you advice guys

inmho

the st engine is awsome .

it is a zetec with a vvt set up on the head it i think was a transition engine between the zetec and the duratec

it was designed by cosworth and paul carter has the drawings to prove it .

the power comes from the vvt , and can be set up on a r/r to your preference .

origonally i had mine set for the vvt to cut in at 45oo rpm , this was a mistake as it only produced arround 165 bhp

i had it remapped to cut in at 2500 and now produces 201 bhp .

it is running the origonal rhsc ex and i feel that with a custom ex it will produce substantially more power .

as the ex ports are restricted by the manifold .

as soon as i can afford a custom manifold i will fit it and have it remapped .

an example is this

at 2400rpm there is arround 90 horses , the car can be driven like a shopping trolley arround the town .

at 2500 all hell breaks loose and you have the full 201 bhp and it can catch you out , ie round and round on a roundabout .

yes i have done it !

i cant wait for the new ex to come allong , saving as we speak .

the carb way i feel will fail on emissions at iva .

good luck with it .

regards graham

inmho

the st engine is awsome .

it is a zetec with a vvt set up on the head it i think was a transition engine between the zetec and the duratec

it was designed by cosworth and paul carter has the drawings to prove it .

the power comes from the vvt , and can be set up on a r/r to your preference .

origonally i had mine set for the vvt to cut in at 45oo rpm , this was a mistake as it only produced arround 165 bhp

i had it remapped to cut in at 2500 and now produces 201 bhp .

it is running the origonal rhsc ex and i feel that with a custom ex it will produce substantially more power .

as the ex ports are restricted by the manifold .

as soon as i can afford a custom manifold i will fit it and have it remapped .

an example is this

at 2400rpm there is arround 90 horses , the car can be driven like a shopping trolley arround the town .

at 2500 all hell breaks loose and you have the full 201 bhp and it can catch you out , ie round and round on a roundabout .

yes i have done it !

i cant wait for the new ex to come allong , saving as we speak .

the carb way i feel will fail on emissions at iva .

good luck with it .

regards graham

Thanks for that Graham,

I'm sure I'll be on the phone to you alot, And if you didnt mind. I'd love to come and have a look in the flesh before I start mine, Hoping to pick up my engine this week,