Witch Way Round

Guest maco

hey

im put the suspension on the zero ive got gazshocks but not sure which one to put on the back or on the front the shock models ive got are the 120/085 and 140/095 any ideas guys

thanx matt

Don't know but the figures are open and closed lengths in inches, eye to eye, 12" x 8.5" and 14" x 9.5". You could bolt one up with the lower wishbone in place and horizontal. The correct one will be about one third compressed. But someone will be along in a minute to say the shorter ones go on the front!

Nigel.

ps. Or 'The longer ones go on the front!'

Edited by Longboarder

Yeah long ones on the front. I am just building a Zetec Zero and the boxes are marked "front & back" smaller at the back and longer ones at the front, although I did fit the front to the back and then saw the writing on the box..lol I bet I`m not the first or the last.

Guest Tim Norman

Yep 2b+ as well.

Currently reading a book about suspension and the like and it gave a handy rule of thumb for coil over springs. If the gap between the coils is about 6-7mm when the car is sitting on its wheels loaded up then you are in the right ball park regarding poundage.

Having read this I rushed out and measured mine, at just under 6mm mine are probably a little soft. So I wound the stiffness up on the shocker a few clicks. Front anti roll bar will hellp in the corners when its finished.

Guest oddsocks
Yeah long ones on the front. I am just building a Zetec Zero and the boxes are marked "front & back" smaller at the back and longer ones at the front, although I did fit the front to the back and then saw the writing on the box..lol I bet I`m not the first or the last.

Yip your not the first, but the thing was i didnt see any writing on the box so i built both the rear suspension and thought i better phone ric from gbs and check -im getting good at stripping the rear now!!

Can anyone use a measuring tape and see how many mm they got from the adjustable nob on the shock to the bottom of the spring please. So i know if i've got the spring under the right load-hope that all makes sense. I'll take some pics later if you dont understand what i mean.

Cheers

J

Guest Tim Norman

That measurement is different for each and every car regardless of type model and engine. Still readinging Des Hamills book and there is a whole section devoted to spring loadings!

I am sure the rear shocks on a 2B are much longer than the fronts I know my springs are rear 10" front 8" so can only fit 1 way round

Stephen

They certainly are on the 2002-ish brochure picture of the rolling chassis with green zimmerides, whether thats changed now i don't know. hth

Try the two long ones on the right hand side because that is the heavy side due to the drivers weight. On the other hand putting the long ones on the left makes the car go round roundabouts like a rocketship because it's banked inward to resist the centrifugal forces.

Nigel