Merging In Turn

Knock-on

Legal and morally right are the same thing.

Legally, you should merge in turn because morally, if you don't, you increase congestion by adding to the tailback and inconveniencing other drivers.

If you want to drive contrary to the highway code then so be it but don't pretend there is some sort of moral justification because you are just making things worse for everyone else.

Simple answer is to drive correctly.

there are often occasions when the legal doesnt equal moral. legal is defined by government. moral by individuals each responsible for their own actions

if we lived in a more moral world where where people were more concerned about others rather than getting themselves to the front of the queue that might be a nicer place to be.

just a thought.

not sure what to do next time i see a merge in turn thing though now might have to give it a go, see how it feels :D

I think that trying to merge only when you get to the cones is daft. The cones are there to stop vehicles entering an area the road workers don’t want them to go, not a marker to say ‘merge here’. Often, the ‘merge’ point moves back from the cones, and I believe that if this happens, then this actually gets the majority of people through in the least time as the traffic generally keeps moving rather than stop-starting. With my Mr Reasonable head on, it winds me up when somebody then tries to save themselves a few seconds on their journey by going past and trying to force into a line of moving cars that has already formed a single lane, thereby delaying the majority. It strikes me as selfish, one person gaining at the expense of the majority. 2p worth, Brian

Guest The Modfather

One of the worst things to ever have to do, is to criticise someone else's driving. I find this when assessing police drivers, especially the young 'uns who have just got their ticket. My ha'penny worth is that if you show a little courtesy and politeness to other drivers, you can only hope that it will rub off onto the ******'s that annoy everyone else!

Sometimes I agree with blocking the closing lane, but this is unnecessarily delaying everyone, and causing more congestion as it simply pushes it back up the road. You will always get the idiot's that appear to think that they have a right to scream up the closing lane and force themselve's in at the last minute, however, regularly check your mirrors for such persons approaching, close up to the vehicle in front if safe to do so, and don't let the blighter in. Over time hopefully they'll get the idea that their actions are not welcome.

You could do what I do and flash my badge :D wind down your window and explain that their lack of respect for other drivers is not welcome, and that usually stops them and makes them think.

and that's the problem - the ignorant clowns who've decided they have a god given right not to wait their turn jump in at the front of the queue and stop it from moving so the rest of us spend more time waiting. Yes the zipper merge is great in theory but unfortunately in the real world it doesn't account for human nature and it doesn't work.

I can see the need for this type of thing at road-works and so-be-it we have to put up with it but when planners design them into junctions I think they should be hung from the traffic lights for insiting road-rage. There's a junction near my home where there are two lanes from a roundabout to a set of traffic lights and immediately through the lights it merges into one lane. Woe betide you if you end up trying to merge in front of me - you'll wait your turn or we'll let the insurance companies decide whether you changing into the lane I'm in or me driving along in the same lane is at fault. The muppets who let these idiots pull in in front of them annoy me only slightly less than the idiots that go past the queue in the first place.

Iain

Unfortunately if the other driver is to your right , you would be in the wrong not allowing him/her in, as Highway code tells you to give way to traffic from the right, or don't you do that at roundabouts either. It makes you steam but a straight & shiny motor is preferable to all the insurance hassle, which today even if it doesn't go against you will prob result in loss of no claims.

This could go on forever at the end of the day traffic should merge when they get to the cones. It was common practise for a while when it 1st came into effect the Highways agency would put big yellow signs at 100m intervals with big black arrows on them showing how to merge in turn. It is only mindless morons who get miffed at someone who might get to there destination 1 minute quicker than them. USE ALL THE LANES THAT`S WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR. Rant over

Andy