Almost Iva Ready

steve_wilson

hi all,

my 2b is about ready for it's iva. thought i'd stick up a couple of pictures to see if you guys can spot anything i've missed!

i've done an sva before so i know roughly what to expect, still nerve racking though!

16052010916.jpg

16052010917.jpg

16052010918.jpg

16052010919.jpg

i sent off the iva application about a week ago, so i figure i've got a few weeks to iron out any problems!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kleighton

Hi Steve,

I've had my IVA today, looks like you might need some nut covers on the front suspension, also not sure about the position of your side repeaters, I think some people have had problems in that position.

Do you have a reverse light ?

Good luck for the test,

Cheers

Keith

Guest Noddy006

Hi Steve

I agree with comments about side repeaters - When I had my IVA last September I had to change mine from side of bonnet and put them on the top of the front wings. (Got some leds from CBS). Not sure about reversing lamp but suspect this is probably a requirement also applies to fog lamp. Somebody on site will probably be able to confirm yes or no. HTH and best of luck - looks good. Ian H

Yep - you need a reversing gear and light now for IVA.

Just looking at the pipe lagging on the front suspension - is this waterproof? Just thinking if the examiner might view this as temporary rather than a permanent fixing??

Guest mastarforth

Yep - you need a reversing gear and light now for IVA.

Just looking at the pipe lagging on the front suspension - is this waterproof? Just thinking if the examiner might view this as temporary rather than a permanent fixing??

MAte wrap any pipe lagging with self amalgamating tape, you can get it form Maplins or I am sure it will be on Ebay.

This in the eyes of the examiner is then a permamenent fix, and better than trying to cover with insulation tape etc. that they deem not to be. We uded this trick last year and examiner was full of praise for doing it.

I have just applied for my IVA on my MEV so am eagerly awaiting the date.

i put the indicators on the side of the bonnet before the IVA came in, i have since put some more on the edges of the cycle wings (cant se to well in the pics)

so a reverse light IS essential for the iva then? glad i put this post up now!!!

i'll go to screwfix tomorrow and get some self amalgamating tape!

just remembered i need a little clip for the handbrake outer cable!

on a slightly different note... i got a call from vosa today about my iva application.

because i bought the kit part built i need a letter from the previous owner saying where he got up to with the build and confirming that it was sold to me. (shouldnt be too much of a problem :p)

last year i took it to the local leeds office for a built up inspection to get a chassis number. apparantly the chassis number is too short though! it's 16 digits instead of 17 so not sure where to go with this. hopefully i dont have to make another trip out there! but i'm positive i didnt make a mistake with this though

thanks, from a very confused steve!

Guest smartfazer

bump on the reverse light question?

is one essential?

Thanks, steve

Yes.

Plus the lagging on the front wings don't look too permanent.

Steve

many thanks, will get some self amalgamating tape tomorrow for the trim

also ordered a reversing switch and lamp off burton power. got a bit carried away and ordered a quickshift too.

will get some more pictures up when i've done the said modifications!

Thanks, Steve

one more quick question...

you need a vin plate similar to this one:

Chassis.jpg

to pass an iva or will the chassis number stamped into the chassis do? and does it have to be on a particular side of the chassis?

Thanks again, steve

Guest Noddy006

Hi Steve Ref the plate I am pretty sure it has to be on 'off' side under bonnet. I put mine on side of drivers footwell. I also seem to remember (but don't quote me) that you have to stamp or etch the chassis itself. For my IVA I also put a simple ally plate on the front chassis cross member under the bonnet. Belt and braces maybe but it passed. HTH Ian H

many thanks Ian

does the chassis number that is stamped into the chassis have to be on a particular side or does it not matter?

i think i'll stick them both on the offside to be safe.

apologies for the million questions, but i'd hate to fail on the little things!

Thanks, steve

Guest Noddy006

Hi Steve. Raf stamping chassis I did mine on the offside just near the radiator. I understand that others have had difficulties when not using correct no. digits/letters. It should be 17 I think and a mix of No.s and letters. I just made mine up but others have gone to DVLA for them to issue a new one. It seems to be a bit haphazard depending on area. Probably worth while asking others in your area or DVLA to save future hassles. BOL Ian H

Guest kleighton

Hi Steve,

Glad the centre cap arrived quckly.

That VIN plate is fine, I put mine on the near side of the firewall, above the battery, and that was fine.

With regard to the chassis number I made my own up, and rang the DVLA to see if I could use it, and they said as long as it doesn't contain the letters Q, O and I and was 17 characters long it would be ok (I think those were the letters). I'll wait to see if that's true when I come to register.

The IVA manual states:

18 - Statutory Plates

The stamped in VIN number must be marked on the chassis, frame or other similar structure which is not easily removable, on the right hand side of the vehicle (See Note 5 and Note 6 in Chapter 18 of the IVA M1 Manual).

I stamped my chassis just next to the battery, and was told it should be on the other side (off side) so have re-stamped near the top wishbone mounts.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Keith