Slick 50

Guest Sharky

Guest Sharky

So, the May bank holiday weekend has drawn to a close and many of you lucky lucky b.....s will be grinning from ear to ear after a weekend of hooning round the British countryside and your chargers will be gently ticking in the garage.... whereas I am sat here having culled a huge number of jobs off my list but now sat with hands covered in cuts, tatty plasters, poly sealant and impact adhesive! Slowly slowly catchee monkey as they say!

Anyway, as I was waiting for her indoors to do some shopping in town yesterday I wandered into Halfords to kill time and was looking at the Slick 50 offerings.

I haven't used it before, so I thought I'd ask the venerable RHOCAR collective what they thought of it.

I have a spankers 2.0 Zetec and wondered if there was merit in giving it a dose to start with or wait a while till its bedded in or not use it at all.

I await your responses (and expect them to be many and varied!) lol :unknw:

Ta

Sharky

Guest mower man

Have used STP ,Wynns and FORTE products for 40 years and they have saved me a number of engines, have not used Slick but presume its asimilar product ,but not sure about more modern engines as they run very low viscosity oils should be ok perhaps others know better ? HTH mower man :unknw: :unsure: :good:

Running in a brand new engine!!! Every one will give a different answer. Heres mine. Don't use any additives or even a top quality synthetic. I would go for a good quality non synthetic and change oil and filter at 100 and 1000 before using fully synthetic. I wouldn't expect to be able to improve on Castrol/Duckhams/Mobil/Valvolines research departments efforts with a bottle of additive from Halfords.

Don't forget it should pay to run at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes on the drive to harden off the cam before hitting the road.

Nigel

Guest SEgan

I wouldn't touch anything with PTFE in (like Slick 50), it just doesn't work in those working conditions.

I would however use molybdenum disulfide based additives, they have very sound chemistry behind them, but using additives seems a bit hit and miss when you can get oils with the stuff in at the correct concentrations (Castrol Magnatec).

Personally I use the tried and trusted Hoody method, cheap(ish) oil with frequent changes.

Sean

Guest Sharky

Thanks guys, :good:

No Slick 50 for me! I read the articles and it seems it may be a 'snake oil' type of product!

I shall stick with Dr Longboarder's advice and do some more frequent oil changing. :)

Sharky

Guest peter2b2002

I always use Duckhams, my last Range Rover started at 55k miles 10 years and 265k miles later it still had good pressure and no funny noises , changed the oil and filter every 3-4 k miles

done the same on my 2b pinto.

if it's not bust don't fix it :D

peter2b