Updated Iva Manual

ZeroKnowledge

has anyone read of the latest version of the iva manual, it was updated 24/05/2010,

http://online.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_files/124_IVA_M1_Inspection_Manual__Version_4_0510.pdf

in section 16 Exterior Projections it states:

Contactable parts of exposed suspension and steering components must comply with radius requirements. However areas to be assessed shall be in accordance with figure 5 Annex 1.

The area within wheels and tyres is not considered to be an external surface.

it also shows diagrams on page 9 of section 16

this should save us using so much rubber around the bottom of the shocks etc :)

Also a few other changes including a table to show when fog lights should be on (section 28 page 3)

Has anyone had iva with these new regs?

it also shows diagrams on page 9 of section 16

This shows an example with wishbone suspension where the contactable surfaces of the wishbones (and presumably the track rods) are checked but then the whole volume enclosed by the wisbones is exempt. This is good news as it means that the front spring / damper is exempt as is the front hub but the brake caliper could still be contactable as it falls outside of this volume in places.

Guest MarkB

Well we were discussing amendments to the MOT manual whilst at Newark, that has changed a hell of a lot in the last month so it doesn't suprise me that the IVA is also updating, just for the record the MOT is getting much easier to pass, or should i say they are removing rfr's from the computer. I am sure that the people who make these decisions have a very good reason for removing brake disc pitting, brake disc scores or even worn to excess brake discs from the fail list yet they still insist that a number plate lamp renders a car unroadworthy, but, who am i to question the powers that be.

Guest MarkB

That's a good move for us; but on another point;still can't find any reference to the front number plate.

isn't that because any vehicle submitted for iva (unless a modified vehicle) does not have a number plate, if you put any other number plate on the vehicle you would break the law. Hence as far as i know the only thing relevent to reg plates is the number plate lamps.

There's a page dedicated to the fact that it has to have a space for a rear registration plate. The only mention I've seen of the front plate is that it or it's supporting brackets shouldn't be included when measuring the vehicle's length.

Iain

Guest gixerboy600

I was up at GBS last week and they had a car there that had just come back from test, all it needed was nut covers and a cover over the locking nut on the track rod end to steering rack, they had used a electrical shroud used for out door electrics, looks neat. Oh and their own cover for the back of the brakes etc. The whole void withing the suspension arms is now void!

Cheers

John