Turbo Pinto

steve_wilson

hi all,

i've been toying with the idea of a new engine this winter, but i quite like the simplicity and reliability of the pinto. so has anyone done a turbo conversion on a pinto?

the exhaust manifold i could make

i'm guessing i'll need a decompression plate

i'd quite like to stick to carbs, i have dellortos twin 40's. could these be used? with something like this maybe (link)

small intercooler

pipework wouldnt be an issue

something would have to be done with the ignition timing, does it need a special module or is it just a case of adjusting it? but then would it run like a bag of spanner off boost?!

a high pressure fuel pump and a inlet pressure depedant regulator

which turbo i'd need is a big question, i'd only want to run low boost to keep it safe and reliable.

thats as far as i've got really, and i might be miles off with some of it!

any nudge in the right direction would be great!

Thanks, Steve

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest snotfart

i did a bit with low pressure turbo on bikes some years ago,really interesting project and does not need to be expensive.depending on original compression ratio which is usually quite high on bike engines half a bar is easily acheivable but if conditions are favourable i have seen nearly two bar on the gauge without detonation.i suspect that the dellortos will be awful off boost due to the restricted airflow through the blower and will flood but they offer the kit so it must be possible.malpassi do an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with boost sensing and i found the easiest way to deal with ignition was to limit maximum advance by modifying the stops in the distributor.forced induction by A.Graham Bell is a very informative read.go for it! dave

I have some low compression Pinto pistons on the stronger rods that I removed so I could use the 205 block.

I was going to eBay them could be worth considering.

They won't be going on eBay for a while so if you are interested, make me an offer

Twin carbs are a problem when turboing as they are not pressure sensitive, they don't see the boost.

Webber did a special set or you can put them in an enclosed box or it's a suck through system using an SU or a big twin weber

thanks for the input chaps

i'll pass on the pistons thanks paul, i've got a spare low comp pinto in the shed if i need some

so it looks like i need some special turbo carbs from weber or similar then?

unless that kit for my carbs actually works? can anyone confirm?

i was thinking of using a combination of silicone hoses on the existing trumpets. not sure if this will work yet as i havent looked properly yet, or does the entire carb need to be boxed in?

Thanks, Steve

Guest SMR610

I`m running a Pinto Turbo in my Hood but mine is fuel

injected, standard Sierra system but with Saab injectors

probably alot easier to setup than carbs.

I`m using a decompression plate now so I could up the boost

but if you`re only planning on running low boost you wont

need one.

Turbo is a Garrett T3, intercooler from a 2wd Cossie.

Timing is taken care of by a box of tricks that

Turbotecniques used to make.

its looking like injection might be easier way to go instead of faffing with carbs

are you running the standard sierra ecu?

what saab injectors are they?

what psi are you running with a decompression plate?

roughly what horses is it putting out?

Thanks again, Steve

Guest Dan_Beeston

I turbo'd my old hood.........

Homemade Exhaust Manifold

Standard injection inlet manifold with Webber 'Yellow' Cosworth injectors

Megsasquirt with EDIS wasted spark ignition - 36-1 trigger wheel on crank pulley

RS turbo (I think) Garrett T3 Turbo

Audi 1.8T intercooler

Sierra Coswroth IAT sensor

Wideband Lamdba gear for tuning

Midly ported head - standard injection cam

Low comp pistons (from a transit pinto)

Fuel injection definately makes things easier - never understood why so many people are keen to ditch a decent injection system for a set of old-school pain-in-the-arse carbs!

I don't get on here very often anymore but drop me a PM if you've got any specific questions!

Cheers,

Dan

well i've managed to get a full standard injection set-up from someone on here so thats that part done, gunna try keep it standard as possible

got a turbo technics ignition retarder too

think i'll get a decompression plate and 2 good quality head gaskets as i think i've got new pistons - no point in changing them.

i'm guessing T3 turbos have oil feeds? would it be ok to tee into my oil cooler pipework?

getting hold of the intercooler, injectors and so on i can't see being a big issue

this turbo for example:

turbo link

would that be ok?

Thanks, Steve

quikc update on this:

im picking up an injection system tomorrow night - standard ford EFI, and an injection head which i'll refurb.

been looking at turbos a bit just lately and spotted this one which, for me, looks ok

turbo link

now i dont really know much about turbo's so apologies if it's a stupid question. but how do you control boost on them?

doesnt appear to have a wastegate (which i *think* is what controls it) or do you need a bleed valve of some sort?

and most importantly, does this turbo look ok for the job? low-ish boost, say 10-15 p.s.i without loads of lag

Thanks, Steve

Guest SMR610

RS Turbo one would probably be better has internal wastegate

along with actuator this controls boost.

Some of the cheaper aftermarket turbos aren`t too good.

12 PSI is reckoned to be about max if you`re using standard

Sierra ECU as it can`t be remapped.

Another way to get extra fuel other than larger injectors is

to run extra ones fired from a pressure switch mounted on the

plenum, some have used cold start injectors from a 2.8 Capri.

Guest SMR610

Not all Saab injectors are the same, lots of

differing flow rates, whatever injectors you

use make sure they are High Impedence ones.

Don`t use Cossie ones these are low impedence.

Think the part number for the Saab ones I used

was 0 280 150 712.

many thanks for the advice and part numbers chaps, will keep a look out on ebay.

i've never messed about with injection before so it's all a bit new to me! going to try get the EFI running on my standard pinto before i fit the turbo.

Can i use other injectors as long as they are high impedence then? or do only some fit?

do i want to be looking at about 250cc/min?

i'll keep an eye out for an rs turbo turbo then if they're the ones to go for!.

again, apologies for all the questions, some of which are probably simple, but it's all new to me!

Thanks, Steve