Not Strictly Sva, But...

Guest SteveL

Guest SteveL

I'm getting to the point where I need to book an MOT for my 2B, and I have absolutely no idea where I can go, who'll be kit-car friendly.

Does anyone know a garage that will do a decent MOT on a kit-car (and also hopefully set up the suspension geometry correctly), and not go "what's that? I can't do an MOT without a registration number" etc. with a legally acceptable drive from Basingstoke?

Cheers

Steve

Steve

To be legal the minimum you need is a VIN number assigned to your vehicle,and stamped on the chassis,also a removable VIN plate,

Plus obviously insurance,you will also need to prebook the MOT,

you do'nt need number plates,as you will get these post SVA,once the MAC,and registration documents & Tax are issued

Cheers Ian

Guest SteveL

Hi Ian

I was aware of that, thanks.I am asking, 'cause I's like to take it somewhere where the mechanics have dealt with kit-cars before, and know what they're doing. I can just imagine taking it to one of the large chains of garages and aksing them to adjust the steering geometry, "How do you do that then?"

Steve

Guest Andy Rathbone

Pardon my stupidity but do i need an mot before sva? i didnt think it was needed, i to am nearing the sva booking point so any info on obvious pit falls would help

cheers :wub:

Hi Andy,

an MOT isnt essential pre-SVA, you can get one done at the SVA station at the same time as SVA. The DVLA rule seems to be that you must have an MOT before they issue the first tax if you get an age related plate.

BUT, it does give you a chance to shake down the car legally, bed in brakes, check steering, self centering etc.

Plus an SVA retest is £30, an MOT retest is usually free, so you get another free, but legal ride out before SVA.

I've even heard that some people arrange a first fail on purpose.......

Bob

You don't need an MOT at all to get on the road, if you realy whant one then go for it but why wast your money?

The bloke at the DVLA said that as the car was made from old parts I would need an MOT in a years time, if it had been a Caterham then it would be 3 years as all the parts on them are new.

Guy

Your quite right in everything you say,....but

I think £30 quid is a cheap investment to get car looked over

by somebody independant,especially to get brakes checked on rolling

road,and to have emissions checked

Steve

Sorry mate I misread the question,

I shall now go and stand in the corner

Cheers all Ian

Guest MikeD318

Handily, my local grease monkey/mot blokey preps Jap imports for SVA testing, I was talking to him not so long ago and he said when the time comes he'll gladly take a look and give me some pointers.

Its true MOT is no longer required for registration purposes, and in some instances for 3yrs (on my tax renewal form mot wasn't required, just insurance cert)

BUT for piece of mind, knowing that the car is truely road worthy when you are driving to the SVA must surely be worth £30, they will check you're emissions, brakes and such.

And you get to drive it locally to check and iron out any problems before a possible long drive to the SVA.

Mine actually failed MOT after SVA on a flexy brake pipe he thought was twisted and would like to see it straightened,

So you pays you're money and takes you choice!

Steve, to get back to you're point "I can't pass it with no number" This can be done if they read there guide lines, I think it's something like "test can be done on chassis number if not registered previously"

I will nip in local MOT station (he's getting used to seeing Hoods, he does two from up here) and ask for the rule number.

It was the first unregistered car he had done and copied all my paper work for future reference for himself.

hth

Mitch

Guest SteveL

Okay, so I'll take that as a "no" then to the question "Does anyone know a kit-car friendly MOT place within legal driving distance from Basingstoke". :D

Steve

Steve

I think the question has been answered,

There must be a garage in Basingstoke that does Mot's!!!!!!! surely

As was described earliar ,you only need a Vin number and insurance.

Do'nt you have friends neighbours etc who would recomend someone local.

Cheers Ian

Guest Trevor 2B

:D Forgot to mention - I live 3 miles from my local SVA test centre....

Getting back to Steve's orginal question...... :rolleyes: Having worked previously as a rep for garages my suggestion would be to find a rural/independent garage rather than a mainstream (franchised) one - the independent ones always seemed to be manned by 'mechanics' rather than 'fitters'. :)

'mechanics' rather than 'fitters'

I think that you've got that arse about!!!! then again, maybe not!!!!!

I'm a time served FITTER (HGV, big, hairy arsed type) 4 year apprenticeship

'Mechanics' are guy's with mechanical aptitude, taken off the street, usually self taught (ie. picked it up working on Dad's car) who don't actually know the basic stuff.

Good & bad of both worlds.

But yes, I agree, go to a 'Family owned' business.

I've been going to the same place now for some 34 years, the guy who owns it now, used to run around in his nappy with a greasy dummy, the first times that I went there. His dad finally pegged out about 12 years back, and left it to him.