Silencers

richyb66

Having read a number of threads about silencers and relised that the standard RH silencer is unlikely to pass IVA, I had ben considering a few options for a suitable replacement.

In the end I decided to go for the nuclear option, got out the visa card and shouted up a 5" silencer from CBS on the basis that it was re-packable and looked likely to reduce the noise to an acceptable level. As a bonus, my return from China on Friday night meant I could have a rare weekend at home in the garage which resulted in this:

101jpg.jpg

102jpg.jpg

I order to fit the silencer parallel to the side panel I needed to make a small pipe to join the manifold to the silencer which is OK, but as it involved welding 3 bits of pipe together and a load of grinding, I may use it as a template and get something bent up in a single piece.

I'm wondering now about a heatshield - obviously the silencer will get hot but it doesn't have any sharp edges like the RH silencer and as I can't find a specific requirement for one in the IVA manual, do I actually have to fit one (aside from the risk of burnt legs getting in and out). If I can get away without one for the test them I'd prefer to leave it off and maybe fit something later.

Guest mower man

Fit aheat shield !!!!! I have 2+ scars onmy right leg to prove it's a sensible thing to do,your system looks very nice but would advise supporting the silencer at both ends or poss damage to that nice 4 into 1 may result regards mower man :clapping: :crazy:

It's very quiet, but then I've not started the engine yet! According to the CBS catalogue it runs at 94dB on a K series so it should be OK. With a bit of luck I should get it running in the next few weeks so I'll keep you posted.

I have put a suppoort under the rear end of the silencer now which has a rubber mount on it. I wanted to get the mount tucked as far out of the way as possible so it wasn't contactable. I'll post another picture when I get the chance.

If I can find some decent stainless steel mesh I might make a shield but If I do, I'll mount it to the silencer not the side panel. I don't want holes in the side panel in case I decide to remove it later.

Before doing your final welding, make sure there is room for the rear wing. It look like the silencer may be be too far back. Follow the arc of the chassis tube to the bottom of the side panel to give you an idea of where the wheel arch will be.

Before doing your final welding, make sure there is room for the rear wing. It look like the silencer may be be too far back. Follow the arc of the chassis tube to the bottom of the side panel to give you an idea of where the wheel arch will be.

I've got a blue line drawn on the side panel where the wing fits. It's not quite in line with the arc of the chassis tube because I've used superspec wings and mounted them lower down so they follow the curve of the tyre - thereby avoiding the 4x4 look.

76jpg.jpg

I will need to do a double check but the panels are away being sprayed at the moment.