What's You Driving Licence Like?

Big Jim

Drivers only please. how's your licence NOW?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Battery Bill
Bills from Lincoln.

Scottish parents though, hence the thriftyness :D :D

Even with the money saved we could not afford "Bob" (Or a box full of scabby DVD's about a spaceship wondering around lost) :lol:

See I was never missing Just keeping a low profile. :rolleyes:

on the subject of speeding fines, i heard recently that the french are due to change their rules, and that if you get done over there in future for an offence, you still have to pay them, but they'll pass on the details to Plod GB (Plc) and you'll get the points on your licence over here. Does anyone know if this is true? I got done on the way back from Le Mans one year - not speeding, much more dangerous than that (sarcasm!) and was annoyed, but at least I'm not still paying for it in increased insurance premiums!

Paul :ph34r:

Yes I believe that what you're saying is correct.

The only way that you might (& I do say might) get away with something trivial, is to "Not understand" at all. They have to be able to get through to you why you are being done, if they can't get through to you, they might give up and let you go, alternatively, they might just throw you in the back of their Citreon and cart you off to the Copshop for someone who can speak English.

Guest Russler

Yep this works, the not understanding part that is, my uncle was in paris and stopped by the police and asked to do a breathaliser test, he pretended not to understand and after the fith time of him sucking instead of blowing they gave up!(good trick i'm waitng for the opportunity to try it)

Another time he was in france in his english car and the police pulled up to the side of the car and demanded that they wind the window down and do a breath test which my aunt did, and so the police were happy and drove off. What they didn't realise was that it was right hand drive and that my aunt was the passenger.

The funniest part is that they are both fluent in french and he had had a few to drink both times.

Guest Mr Pid

Well having been ot France a number of times and seeing first hand how they drive, I would not be surprised if it were illegal to not drink and drive!!! :lol: :rolleyes: :D

Guest Griff

I was unfortunate to be caught twice in the space of one year, which insurance companies take a very dim view of, and use as an excuse to charge more. That was in 2000 and both were by mobile hidden cameras. I now use a laser detector and a gps based 'Road Pilot' which is very good as it tells you what the road limit is, which can be a problem on some roads when the limit changes. A bonus with the gps systems is that they give an accurate speed display, which is good for checking out the hoods speedo. My speedo reads about 2 mph below the actual speed.

Guest nelly

Never had any points or been flashed by a Gatso, but one morning on the way to work I got flashed by a car!

I'd just come off a roundabout into a 30 zone (from 40) and hadn't slowed down enough. There was a plain-clothed car in the centre of the road facing me, indicating to turn across my path into a driveway (I think he was just on his way home). The driver noticed I was a bit swift and as I pulled level, he leaned across to the middle and pressed something, which caused two bright flashes to emit from some machine on the dashboard! I was close enough for him to register the surprised look on my face!

I have seen the car a couple of times since then - it had a strange set up on the roof - like the normal lights arrangement but all black - some kind of circular forward facing sensor/camera in the middle of that, plus the gubbins on the dashboard. Last time I saw it however, all that had been removed. I assume it must have been on trial by my local force and had to be handed back after a certain period or some other reason. Anybody else seen anything similar or know what it all is? I never received notice that I'd been caught speeding and it was months ago now so I'm hopeful of keeping that licence like last year's Eurovision entry - 'nil points'!

nelly

. They have to be able to get through to you why you are being done, if they can't get through to you, they might give up and let you go,

hello jim

when i was done the two police bikes, and one police car it took to catch me in a knackered G reg astra doing 40!!!!! had with them a folder that had in it a list of offences, with lots of different languages translated underneath it. So he points to the appropriate one, then flips through to the appropriate fine and points at that - job done, cash handed over. Maybe if you claimed that you couldnt read at all you might still get away with it?

Paul

(incidentally while they were busy booking me, in my heavily modified astra (modified = full of people, luggage and with 3 push bikes strapped to the top) around 20 speeding motorists flew past, with a couple of Ultima's even pausing in the laybay, before zooming off again, tires smoking and flames flying out of their exhausts! Maybe the gendarms just fancied an easy day, and didnt fancy trying to catch those things!)

Guest Captain Daz

Been stopped loads of times but no points. It's all in the delivery. I go down the 'good evening officer' route and just get a ticking off. No micky taking, no sarcasm, just admitting and apologising. Seems to work a treat. Speeding, driving at night with no lights on, no seat belt, teaching a friend to drive when I'd only had my license 3 months etc, etc. All with no points. I suppose living with a copper all my young life (Dad) taught me how to treat them.

Cheers

Daren

P.S. Before you ask I never told them my Dad was a copper. That would only make matters worse.