0 To 60 Calculator

speedtripledan

Anyone got an accurate weight for a finished Zero yet?

Sharky

Hi Jim,

Paul (Zeroknowledge) posted his weights from IVA the other day. They totaled the front and rear axle weights to get the gross i think.

Now i stand to be corrected, but surely this would be inaccurate for the gross weight? By my logic anyway?? :crazy:

Nick.

• Like 1

Guest The Modfather

Hi Jim,

Paul (Zeroknowledge) posted his weights from IVA the other day. They totaled the front and rear axle weights to get the gross i think.

Now i stand to be corrected, but surely this would be inaccurate for the gross weight? By my logic anyway?? :crazy:

Nick.

Yes that doesn't seem right, as they would probably just have the front axle on the scales with the rear axle on terra firma and measure the weight. This would mean that the scale is measuring all the weight up to the TDC of the pivot point over the rear axle, and likewise when the have the rear axle on the scales. It's like almost weighing the middle section of the car twice. This is my take on it anyway?

If the whole car was on the sacle, like a normal weighbridge, then the gross would be correct. Surely THIS is the way they do it, and not one axle at a time?????

As long as the car is completely flat when weighed then the the total must be the addition of the 2 axle weights. Just imagine the car on 2 different scales (one under each axle) and think about it. Where would any extra weight go or come from???

Guest The Modfather

This is my take on only weighing one axle at a time.

Rather than the weight being split 50 - 50 either side of the red dotted line, the scales will weigh right up to the orange box shown on the other wheel. What is behind the axle pivot point on the wheel that isn't being weighed, won't count. Therefore you are weighing, for arguments sake, 3/4 of the car.

When you weigh the other axle, the same applies. Thus, the middle bit is weighed twice when the two axle weights are added together, so the total cannot be correct. Weighing the car completely on a full weighbridge will give you the mean gross weight, or kerb weight, which is the overall total that you are after. Axle weights are the total weight being bore on each axle, which gives you what each axle can safely hold. So, simply adding both axle weights will NOT equate to the vehicle mean gross weight. The two measurements are totally different measurements and should not be confused.

post-4086-078790900 1287414861_thumb.jpg

Guest scrabster

evening all, at sva my zero weighed in at 491.7kg. the tester did say it would not be 100% accurate as the car bottomed out as it went on the machine.also be a bit conservative with the 0-60 times as again at sva my speedo read 70mph and the actual speed is 65mph.with this calculator my 0-60 would be 4.9sec with me at the wheel and full tank of fuel.must say it feels quicker than that but not timed it myself so can only assume it is. :pardon:

hth jess.

Can't be right Daz, if you weighed the car using 4 separate scales,one under each wheel the total of all 4 would be the weight of the car, yes? So if you replaced two of the scales with 2 blocks of wood same thickness as scaleswould there be a different reading on the remaining scales,no. The only way for your theory to work would be for the car to be much lower at the nose when weighing the front & then much lower at the rear when weighing the tail, -- i.e.the centre of gravity is displaced by the forward or rearward tilt of the vehicle. :unsure:

Edited by florin metal works

Guest The Modfather

Can't be right Daz, if you weighed the car using 4 separate scales,one under each wheel the total of all 4 would be the weight of the car, yes? So if you replaced two of the scales with 2 blocks of wood same thickness as scaleswould there be a different reading on the remaining scales,no. The only way for your theory to work would be for the car to be much lower at the nose when weighing the front & then much lower at the rear when weighing the tail. :unsure:

Bob. I think you have confused what I have said. I'm saying that you CANNOT measure a cars gross weight (kerb weight) using only a scale that measures one axle at a time.

In order to get the vehs total kerb weight then a full weighbridge that allows the whole vehicle to drive onto it would be the correct way. To weigh only one axle at a time, as is what has been stated by an earlier poster, and then weigh the other axle, will NOT give you the vehs kerb weight. It will merely give you the combined weights measured on each axle PLUS the remaining weight of the vehicle up to the pivot point of the remaining axle that is not on the scales.

See my diagram, it is self explanatory. Try weighing something on the bathroom scales that will allow you to have the remaining hanging off the scale but balancing on a point so that a quarter at the far end will be past the balance point, and then note this figure, then turn it around and set it up again, and take this weight and add it to the first to get a total. Now have the whole thing on the sacles so that only it's weight is all on the scale, and this figure will be different.