Should I Bin My 1.6 And Get A 2.0 Litre ?

Guest Andybarbet

Guest Andybarbet

I am looking at getting the Lightweight (Bolteon) kit when it becomes available and already have a 1.6 Pinto sapphire to start stripping which cost me nought !!

The question is do i use the 1.6 Sierra or bin it and look for a 2.0 litre as i quite fancy vented discs , larger drums , more power etc ??

Anyone else used 1.6 running gear and dropped a 2.0 litre in it ?

Figuring on such a light car this would probably be fine & me definately being a stranger to a fish supper too !

Any feedback / opinions are welcome, :blink:

Cheers......................

2 litre pinto is a bit heavier than the 1.6 pinto. Not a lot though.

The extra power does make a diference and with the fine aerodynamics that these cars are reknown for the 2 litre adds a bit to the terminal velocity..err top speed is what I ment.

Ian

Guest Russler

I originally built my 2b on a G-reg 1.6 laser sierra, it was ok but performance was a bit dull. I then moved onto a 2lt pinto which has loads more torque but seemed to lack top end whack, so it then went to stage 3 with rally cam and things became alot more interesting, however it lost alot of power low down. I have now installed a 2lt zetec which I think I am happy to settle with for a while, it has got loads of torque and goes like stink once you pick the revs up. So in answer to your question I don't believe there are any problems in starting with a 1.6 and moving up, you may aswell use the parts you have got and just buy a bigger engine at a later date if thats your thing (which I assume it is if you are considering this)

all the best

Guest Andybarbet

Was thinking drop a 2.0 litre in at later date - just worried that brakes may not be up to job ?

Had a mate a few years back that put a metro turbo lump in a mini still running drum brakes all round !! Went well .............. just didn't stop !!

Hi Andy

My doner was a 1.6, but i picked up a 2.0 engine part way through the build,

you should find the front disc's are vented, but the rear drums are slightly smaller

I dont have trouble stopping, in a 2b, so something as light as the bolton should be fine.

Rear diff may be different gearing but i cant see any difference when chasing other Hoods

HTH

Mitch

Guest Tim Norman

Bob has 1600 running gear, brakes and all. As long as there is sufficient weight transfer under braking then you are OK. After all, the 2B doesn't weigh as much as the Sierra, which ever engine is in it.

Bob has a very quick 2100 Pinto with all the toys and he stops ok.

Cheers

Bobsmate

The Mini should have stopped fine the first time but had trouble afterwards as drums can't get rid of the heat. Twin leading shoe Drums are actually more effective than discs but they will suffer from heat terribly and fade in no time.

I'm surprised at a Sapphire with solid discs (I thought all Sierras had the vented setup by the time the Sapph came along) but there's always one that slips through.

The vented discs are designed to get rid of heat better than the solid discs. The solid discs are lighter - a good thing. Any Sierra brake setup should be adequate to stop a Hood as the weight is dramatically less (should be even more so with a bolteon). However you will probably drive a Hood more enthusiastically than the average Sierra would be driven so you may generate more heat.

Pro's and con's so the choice is yours.

If you're going for light weight I think I personally would use the 1.6 donor but look for a 2.0 lump and upgrade later if necessary. Once you're driving it you can decide if the brakes are up to the job and change them if necessary.

Just a final note - I have had various old bangers to which I've fitted the cheapest pads in the shop and I've had them fade when I've been "pressing on". I now always get Ferodo pads as they are a good road pad and don't noticeably drop-off when cold but I've yet to have a set fade - even when I've done some really silly things (the front wheels were too hot to touch).

Iain

The disc diameters are the same it is just that one lot are vented, heavier, and liable to warp, but look good. I don't think cooling is much of an issue on a seven, they are hardly shrouded by lots of body work and there are not usually 4 passengers and their luggage to stop. The 2l rear drums are bigger and can result in overbraking at the back, good handbrake though.

Peter :rolleyes:

Guest Andybarbet

Thanks for the replies - and opinions, will stick with the 1.6 me thinks, after all it was free, i know where it's been previous to me and i wont need to spend any cash buying another !

As for the discs, i was going on an early sapphire i had a long time ago, my donor may well have vented discs but to be honest i haven't checked since it was put in me garage !! will look tomorrow though.

Cheers,

Andy............

Guest Roger 2B

How do you change an engine once the car is built?

I have a 1.8 but would like to upgrade to a 2.1during next winter. Is it a big job to swap the engine? (I know is easy if you just leave the car with, who is it, RS something ... that cost is not an option.)

Guest Andybarbet

Well, after deciding to keep the 1.6 donor - i got an offer on a 2.0 litre injection sierra that i couldn't refuse.

So that's that - temptation of more power got the better of me im afraid ! and i've been taken out in a 2.0i hood and was impressed.

Time to call Mr salvage man to take the 1.6 away (unless anyone want's it for free that is ?? )

It will have to go in next couple of weeks before wife realises how many cars i've got now.