"plastic" Rod

fry61

Evening all, have started to design/build a surrey top for Silhouette;need some "plastic" rods 1500/2000mm long by around 10mm diameter. Not sure of type of plastic required; it must be like the modern tent "poles" very springy & good memory to return to straight when released; thanks for help in advance.

how about those 5m flag poles like fishing rod blanks, posible to use the two centre sections ? and they are reasonable price.

any pics or drawings as interested my self

thanks

chris

ah better idea above posted at same time

Thanks lads,all replys welcome;Redspec - do you know if polyprop has the "spring & memory" I was looking for,if so will fit the bill nicely. I will try to do a blow by blow account of the design & build for others to use if they wish.

Came home to-day in the Mother & Father of a hail stormthis is garden covered in ice on arrival.

So it's important to progress the roof for Silhouette;this is the mock-up frame A is windscreen line B is roll bar & C is rear of boot.

Frame covered with tent material

The front edge of material will be locked into caravan awning rail & tensioned corset fasion at boot lid;side to side tension will be with cross brace & ties at rollbar level down to chassis rail.

That's the idea so far,comments/critisisms welcome.

no wonder i can't buy any clips, you got them all.

interesting idea thanks for showing. only thing i don't like is loosing the rear view ?. or have i got that wrong

chris

Yes Chris,in this mock up the rear view is gone;but my wing mirrors give a better veiw than interior mirror.Was not thinking of adding a rear plastic screen as this complicates things & tent-type material folds up to next to nothing for storage with the long rods stored down passenger foot-well. As the rear screen would be over the boot it should be possible to just have a hole there if strength can be maintained;could also be a shorter roof if roll-bar was used as back fixing.

Try East Coast Fibre Glass Supplies web site, they do loads of different types of rods, nylon fibreglass,carbon etc etc from 1 to 5 meter in length,in 3mm to 10mm solid or hollow tube.

Colin

Bob your design looks a bit odd.

You are not a short ass so will your head fit under the tent.

Personally a Surrey back to the roll bar is all you need if driving in the rain with doors. and the extra ventilation helps.

I found the full roof with windows in very claustrophobic.

Stephen

Bob, have you thought about fitting a 'standard' surrey top, which can be stored rolled to the roll bar or removed and tucked behind the seats. Then for full protection in foul weather you could add a zip on rear section to enclose the cabin.

As Stephen has said, your design is a little 'odd', but then again is anything on Silhouette conventional?