"plastic" Rod

fry61

It was for the very reason of head-room that I started this design exercise. The rods are curved up by the roll bar so above your head is 2" more room than a straight-line, screen-top to roll bar. The outer edges of the material do not come below the screen-top/boot line. Silhouette is different not odd :rolleyes: that's how progress is made :unsure: if it's wrong we have only consumed some tinker-time without advancement; if it's right we will have a roof that packs into a crisp packet :acute: (plus assorted rods & string filling the foot-well. :blush: Thanks for your comments,all helps keep the grey matter churning. :crazy: :unknw:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for showing us; fantastic concept; our skin will pack away in a crisp packet though; BMW's will probably get remodelled by some scum-bag with a kraft knife within 10 mins of parking.

Guest Tim Norman

My first "Hood" had battens from a siling dingy which slipped into pockets. Advantage was they were thinner at one and so were flexible. This meant I could get some shape into them. They were tested on Donington at 120 and never budged!

Despite being vertically challenged, I had headroom issues because I have the Recaros with runners fitted. I just fitted the hoop from the full roof, and used that to lift the surrey top just over my head. I started with a long surrey, but cut it back so I can see to the rear. It just projects about 2 inches behind the roll bar. Coming back from LeMans we got stuck in a down pour for just over an hour back to the ferry. We had just the surrey top & biggish side deflectors & stayed almost completely dry, just one damp shoulder each.

Agree with Tims sail battens.....Im working on a pair of clip on half doors using a batten at the top to keep its shape.

Bob

Guest Tim Norman

Unfortunately that particular Hood was on a previous "Hood" if that makes sense and I never got to take any pictures with the Surrey on.

I may well be adapting my current surrey in the near future as I have moved my screen even further back than previous so will sort some photo's of that when it is done.