2nd Rant

Guest peter2b2002

Guest peter2b2002

why is it to insure my 2nd car just for tpf&t I had a quote of £140.56 (up from 110 last year) for me and HID, tried it for just myself £276.96 :shok: tried getting quotes from others , always the same when I put her on a a second drive the quote goes down,

any one know why? as we both have clean licences, no claims + max NC discount also both insured on other cars

peter2b

I couldn't get a reasonable quote for my car fully comp, admitedly I didn't save much by going TPFT but it was enough. And it's only cheaper to put the wife on your insurance if she hasn't put her car into a ditch in the last 5 years!

My missus was complaining last year that her insurance had gone up and it was because I'd got a 2nd speeding on my license and I was a named driver.

So we removed me as a named driver and re-ran the quote and it came out even dearer ???? - obviously they figure I'm less of a risk that her and, as a named driver, the more driving I do in the car will leave less time available for her to be driving and have a crash.

I've basically sussed that the reason that insurance works like this .....

INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE RUN BY PEOPLE WHO WERE TOO STUPID TO WORK IN A BANK.

This is also probably the reason that this happened - I recently sold my 1998 VW Transporter 1.9td (69bhp) panel van which I had insured fully comp, S,D & P cover - no business use (just a private vehicle) and it was costing me £446 to insure with my 9 years NCB and 6 points. As they wouldn't swap the insurance to a car, I cancelled it (it's run just under 5 months) and they charge me 80% of the premium, plus a percentage of the premium, plus a £75 cancellation fee. So basically it cost me an extra £9 to cancel the policy 7 months early. Grrrrr

I've now got an Audi S6 Avant 4.2 V8 340bhp and the premium has increased to just £477 for the same cover (different insurance company though).

And finally, when is NCB not NCB?

Well apparently it's when it's accumulated on a van insurance. So I've had car insurance for years, last claim I made was probably 11 years ago (when I had protected discount anyway) and I had a no fault accident (ran a dog over - Jag 1 Dog 0). So then 4 years ago I get the van, insure it and tell them that I'd got X years NCB and told them about the dog incident and they seem happy to use the NCB.

Now when I swap back to a car and insure that, they say the last 4 years NCB don't count as they were gained on a van policy!!!! I asked what the difference was - it's not like vans don't have accidents, not making a claim is not making a claim. At this point they started to get a bit ar5ey so I just said, OK forget the van NCB, I'll just use the car NCB I have before that and they said it had expired because I hadn't insured a car in the last 2 years.

What a load of toss, they just seem to make these rules up as they go along, none of this was explained to me beforehand and it isn't anywhere in the policy that I could see. Now my new insurance have asked for evidence of my NCB, which I'd got from the old company when I cancelled the policy - it says 9 years but doesn't specifically say car or van although it does say VW Transporter on it, so I'm waiting for the new insurance to say I can't use it on the car and see a big hike in my premium. I feel a rant to the insurance ombudsman might be in order.

With all the money these muppets are making you'd think they'd keep their own central database of who's made what claims and when rather than relying on customers to produce the evidence.

On a lighter note, I'm very pleased with the Audi.

just to add to the mix it is actually a fact that women have more accidents per mile but overall they do less miles so have less accidents than men. although women do have more accidents they tend to have lower speed bumps and scrapes whereas men have higher speed accidents. Can't fully remember where i read it but it was a reputable source, had a feeling it was from the RAC.

I would also think that this will change as time goes on as more women/girls seem to be driving a lot faster, or maybe just my take on it.