Transit Pinto Engine

Knock-on

The low compression versions were first built to help meet emmision criteria in some country's but I have also heard this changed the torque profile which helped the engines low rpm "pulling power" in heavy vehicles (loaded transit vans). Another rumour I heard was they were more economic in a van beacuse your average jockey couldn't thrash it as much! Dependimg on the version the pistons and/or crankshafts were different. Great for a basis for a turbo engine though!

Guest The Modfather

I believed that it had a higher squish area above the piston and a thicker head gasket. Surely a skim of the head and a thinner gasket would be the way to go?

Daz

I had a Transit 205 engine I used for my Pinto build, threw the pistons and rods out.

As Mowerman said it's the Pistons that are different and only the pistons, crank and crank throw are standard as is the gasket, piston deck height is a lot more. You won't be able to deck the block enough and would have to heavily skim the head as well.

It is however a good base for a 2.1 upgrade if you use 93 mm pistons

Edited by Snapperpaul