Cam Pulley

Guest nick coram

Guest nick coram

As I like the look of the anodised vernier pullies but am to tight to purchase one I am intending to spray one up and cut back the timing belt cover to show it off! B)

I have noticed that the cam pulley on the Pinto engine is drilled in one location around the perimeter. This looks like it is intended to balance it. Does anyone know if this is true and if it is therefore important to keep the pulley matched with the camshaft ?

Nick I think the drilling is intended to balance it a bit but don't worry about matching the pulley to the cam. The same pulley is also used for the jackshaft. Why not paint both pulleys and just leave off the belt cover altogether as long as you keep your fingers out of the way!

Peter.

Guest Robin Allison

Nick I ran my RS2000 mk2 without a cover for 30000 miles no probs.

It does have a shiny alloy vernier pulley (came with the car).

Rob...

Guest Mr Pid

i would take the cover off if i were you, they rattle like a real pain, i painted my old one which looked nice but now i am due to rebuild the engine i am going for the full colour coded paint finish on all the pulley, ill send you some pics if i ever finish it!?! :rolleyes:

How many times have you found bits of grit and tiny stones behind a removable plastic panel in the engine bay? On my wife's polo there's a plastic panel under the engine, and there's always some crap accumulated up there. In the same way that tiny stones flick u[p on the polo, so they will flick up into the engine bay on a 2B. Get one between your timing belt and a pulley and at the very least you'll damage the belt to some extent.

Each to their own, but my cover is staying on. If it rattles I'll replace the rubbers around their fittings.

Ant