Rh Series 3 Chassis Rigidity

Guest drigboy

Guest drigboy

Hi, I've got a RH series 3 that's nearly finished. However I've been told that there's some rigidity issues in the chassis. Can anyone tell me precisley what's required to strengthen it so I can get it through it's IVA test. Thanks in anticipation.

Guest mower man

Hi I have run a series 3 for the last 7/8 years and have had only minor cracking probs in the engine bay area ,has your car got inboard suspension and is it stainless steel?If the answer to both questions is yes I can offer some advice but not about outboard equipped cars,please get in touch mower man :good:

Are your seat belts mounted on a steel bar at the rear of the boot?

Have you welded a bar across the roll bar at the correct seat belt effective height.

I triangulated from the rear mount to the roll bar, I have photos if you send me your email

Guest mikea

If it is a new series three (outboard front shockers) then should be OK. Mine passed SVA weith no mods. have a look at the NW owners club website if you are not sure which series three it is. The "new" three was designed specifically to pass the (then) new SVA test.

Guest drigboy

Are your seat belts mounted on a steel bar at the rear of the boot?

Have you welded a bar across the roll bar at the correct seat belt effective height.

I triangulated from the rear mount to the roll bar, I have photos if you send me your email

• 1 year later...

Just read this regurgitated thread drigboy did I send you photos? Can't remember

Trimaz, I think I converted the VHS vids to DVD, message me your address I'll see what I can do

Edited by Snapperpaul

• 4 weeks later...

. The "new" three was designed specifically to pass the (then) new SVA test.

The mark 3/3A was not designed with the SVA test in mind, it was just the latest version of the monocoque kit that RS had been producing in different forms throughout the years.

In fact he stopped making 7 type kits for over a year or more when the starting date of the SVA became officially known, the rumour mill was that he wouldn't be carrying on with 7's at all, but we all know that turned out to be incorrect.

The kit that was designed for the SVA was the 2B with sliding pillars.

With the mark 3 / 3A there are more than the usual sharp edges to contend with, plus as has already been mentioned the roll bar needs to be 2" dia, with the seatbelt mountings fitted to an extra bar welded across between the legs of it. It also needs to be mounted better to the tub.

Seat mountings need to be looked at, usually a framework needs to be made for the seats to mount through to. Normally they just bolt through the floor, this is not adequate. Fuel tank filler, windscreen surround, windscreen mounts, demisters, are all problem areas as is clipping up the brake pipes & wiring isn't as easy on these.

The supplied silencer isn't up to the job.

These points off the top of my head at the monment.

Then there's the normal problems with the 3/3A monocoques, the suspension mountings both front & rear are not strong enough, Fuel tank mounting is poor (as are some of the tanks) the bulkhead to sides will crack after a few months of use, as will the corners where the front suspension box section joints the sides.

The anti-roll bar from the Sierra is far too strong for the car, there are a number of methods to alter this, but you will also need to brace across the engine bay shoud you remove it.

If it has the famous Zimmerman shock absorbers, throw them in the bin, do not fit them!