Zetec Spiggot Bearing

Guest Hammy360

Guest Hammy360

Hi all,

I have my MT75 and Zetec mated and fitted into my car. I used the westfield thrust bearing. Im now a bit concerned because Ive read a couple of posts saying you need a different spiggot bearing in the Zetec.... Is this the case???? (I hope not!)

Guest sandy77uk

Hi all,

I have my MT75 and Zetec mated and fitted into my car. I used the westfield thrust bearing. Im now a bit concerned because Ive read a couple of posts saying you need a different spiggot bearing in the Zetec.... Is this the case???? (I hope not!)

I got my spigot bearing from GBS, have you soken with richard?

Guest sandy77uk

No not yet mate

Give them a quick call, I spoke to Richard when I collected my kit and told him i was mating the MT75 to the zetec and i got my bearing from him, so I've no idea if its a different one or not

John - I wouldn't have thought the thrust bearing would mean a different spiggot bearing, so as long as you have fitted one, you should be OK. But as mentioned above, give the GBS technical line a quick call to make sure. Perhaps they can answer the question about the rear lights we were talking about as well?

Guest Hammy360

John - I wouldn't have thought the thrust bearing would mean a different spiggot bearing, so as long as you have fitted one, you should be OK. But as mentioned above, give the GBS technical line a quick call to make sure. Perhaps they can answer the question about the rear lights we were talking about as well?

Hi Dave, I got westfield thrust bearing but was not aware about the spiggot bearing ............

Guest Hammy360

Hi Dave, I got westfield thrust bearing but was not aware about the spiggot bearing ............

Dave could you PM me your number mate?

Guest Ian & Carole

Yep just ordered one now. Engine and box out this weekend :cray:

Leave the box in only need to get to the rear of the engine, when clutch removed.

I believe they are 2 different things.You need to drift it into the recess in the centre of the flyweel. The input shaft on the gearbox fits into it. The thrust bearing goes on the input shaft. Sorry i did not take pictures of mine.

Guest RPD1970

Hi John,

What was the difference with the spiggot bearing? Was it the fact that you have the Westfield thrust bearing that meant you had to change it? Just curious about what advice you've had about changing the spiggot bearing.

I have the GBS spiggot bearing with the MT75, and I've modified the clutch pivot point as suggested by GBS and I'm using the standard thrust bearing.

Cheers

Russell

The zetec doesn't come with a spigot bearing in place in front wheel drive format. To mate to a type 9 or MT75 you need to add one. Ford have kindly provided the correct size hole in the back of the crankshaft. I believe the same size one is used for both gearboxes. Here's a pic of one. Little barrel with needle rollers and a tiny grease seal. Seal goes gearbox side not engine side. The 20p goes back in my pocket!

Nigel

post-21-0-30974400-1309799971_thumb.jpg

Guest oddsocks

you need the spigot bearing when fitting a zetec and mt 75 box as well as a westfield clutch release bearing. Sorry hammy but its engine and box back out to put 1 in. dont think you got the room to take just the engine out. Think you got to put the spigot bearing in with the rubber seal on the outside-think there might be some pics in my build pics

HTH

Jamie

Guest RPD1970

Ah that's ok then, I've got one of those in!

However, being a bit of an arse, I've put mine in the other way round - seal side to the engine rather than the box! After much soul searching (and discussion with GBS) I've decided to leave it in, as I understand the seal is there to stop the grease in the spiggot bearing being flung to the four corners of the earth under the centripetal force of rotation. Too difficult to get it out now, I think!!

I'll sit back now and wait for people to tell me to remove it and replace it!! Any offers from people willing to come and get the little bugger out, help yourself!!

Russell