Silly Question But Im Going To Ask It ?

Guest gazza1591

Guest gazza1591

Hi All

Looking at ordering a Zero in september but have a question.

i have heard about the build manual you get is not very detailed ? does anyone know if they have finished the new one yet ?

and the next is how do you know exactly what you need ?

by this i mean if you look at the raw striker site/tiger site etc they list all the parts required to build there kits.

where as GBS dont do this ? i know all the big bits i will require but what about the small bits ?

hope that makes sense ?

thanks

Guest sandy77uk

Hi All

Looking at ordering a Zero in september but have a question.

i have heard about the build manual you get is not very detailed ? does anyone know if they have finished the new one yet ?

and the next is how do you know exactly what you need ?

by this i mean if you look at the raw striker site/tiger site etc they list all the parts required to build there kits.

where as GBS dont do this ? i know all the big bits i will require but what about the small bits ?

hope that makes sense ?

thanks

Build Manual?? what build manual??

you will need to source nuts and bolts and expect to buy tools, you will find you need to source bits as you go along

Guest gazza1591

from what i hear the manual has been a long time coming ?

im a little worried it may be to much for me to take on with no real build manual to follow ?

i have experience working on cars but only replacing little bits here and there not a full build.

Guest oddsocks

from what i hear the manual has been a long time coming ?

im a little worried it may be to much for me to take on with no real build manual to follow ?

i have experience working on cars but only replacing little bits here and there not a full build.

Think most of us are like that! But i managed to build it-well nearly finished it. Have a look on my pics and im no mechanic!!

Just order it and ask on here for any help you need-you wont regret it.

Jamie

This site is really a build manual and it brings like minded people together, with a proper and decent manual there might not be so many members. Also one of the best parts of kit cars is the different shapes, colours, mods, bodges, brackets, tweaks, different parts that do the job etc. they are all different, follow a biuld manual and the majority will look like a production car.

The only seven kits that have start to finish manuals are the Caterham and the Westfield. All the rest don't.

Suggest some more research then help another member with his build to gain some experience.

I now rent a barn with 2 others and this helps a lot.

Guest gazza1591

thanks for the reply all

i see what you are saying ,it would just have been nice to get a guide of what bits i need at what point

in the build. i personally think even if there was a full guide that each car would still be individual ?

with the amount of different lights,wheels,interior bits etc out there to choose from ?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. After much deliberation as to which kit to buy, settled for a Zero. Ordered it as a complete kit and opted for some of the work to be done by GBS (side panel fitting and brake lines). I asked at the time of ordering if I could have thebuild manual to prepare myself for the build (or drool over the prospect) only to be told that there was no such thing but there were some diagrams and photos that they would Email to me. I expected a huge file, but got about half a dozen single pages.

On the appointed date went to pick it up. It was a bit shambolic as parts were scattered all over the ground when I got there. Loaded up the van with the main bits and went on a forage hunt around the shelves to get other parts. Some were not available as there seems to be a constant process of upgrading parts. Even then, came home minus a fair number of bits. Only when I got home and unpacked did I realise the number of missing bits.

On the positive side, whilst waiting for bits to be collated, had a chnace for a long chat with some of the people in the workshop and gleaned their wisdom on the early issues and an assurrance to help at any time if you give them a call.

Having made a list of missing bits, phoned GBS and discussed what was missing and most were packaged up and sent to me. A fair number were still not in stock and promised to be sent. I made up a spreadsheet that is shared and we can both enter onto it parts that are still neeeded from my end and progress from their end. I thought I had most things covered untyil the weekend when I visited Yanto to find out just how many bits were still missing from my list!

Whilst most parts are included, I have taken the advice of a more seasoned Zero builder (Yanto) and ordered a selection of high tensile nuts and bolts.

Whatever, I am already realising that you need to go into Zero building with your eyes open and a flexible approach. Although new to the game, I am alreday appreciative of the advice on the forum and the help available. There will be frustration (such as going to change the torn boot on one of the driveshafts supplied with the kit only to have the ground up contents of the CVJ empty over the bench!)

Good luck

Mike

this is the build manual and long may it be that way. Just ask the question and a answer will come, some silly some a p**s take but you will get the answer just look at some of the zeros built and then you will know it all fits some how. The 2B was might fit maybe and thats why there is so much knowledge on this site.

Guest gazza1591

a bit of a follow on from the 1st question.

does anyone that has completed a zero or close to it have an order of fitting parts ?

most seem to start with diff but what follows on ?

I think the various blogs, mine included, and photo bucket type accounts (Shaft's and Gixerboys are 2 good examples) give a good idea of the build sequence. Having said that, there is no set order for things but you are right that it is suggested that you fit the diff first, purely from an access point of view. After that condiser fitting the brake pipes, again as access is easier. Then the foot panels, seat back panel, inner panels (but not the passenger side tunnel yet as you need that for access to fit the prop shaft) and then perhaps the bushes in the suspension and then fit the suspension to the rear etc.

My only advice would be to think about what you are fitting and if it can be removed, if required, for access behind it. For example, don't bond the tank in place until you have fitted the fuel pumps and filter that will sit behind it. It just makes your life a lot easier. Perhaps don't fit any of the inner panels until you have cleaned out the threads for the seat belts and so on.

You are still very welcome to come down and have a look at mine and have a chat about it all if you would like, just let me know.

Guest sandy77uk

a bit of a follow on from the 1st question.

does anyone that has completed a zero or close to it have an order of fitting parts ?

most seem to start with diff but what follows on ?

theres more than one way to skin a cat, so I started with the back panel (the one your seat sits against) and went from there, bonded the fuel tank, put the outter skin on and then moved onto the brake lines, inner skin, steering coloum, rear panel, rear suspension, diff, drive shafts

basically i would wander into the garage and decide what I wanted to work on that day, I have just over 300 build photos

Guest oddsocks

theres more than one way to skin a cat, so I started with the back panel (the one your seat sits against) and went from there, bonded the fuel tank, put the outter skin on and then moved onto the brake lines, inner skin, steering coloum, rear panel, rear suspension, diff, drive shafts

basically i would wander into the garage and decide what I wanted to work on that day, I have just over 300 build photos

I cant get the link to work on your pics sandy

Jamie