Sill Protectors

Guest T6 KFR

Guest T6 KFR

Ive recently DIY'd a new rear bulkhead panel for the 2B and covered it in 3M carbon fibre. Trouble is the sill protectors are now too short as the old bulkhead was plated c/w thick carpet.

Id imagine the sill protectors cannot be bought off the shelve unlike other 7 type cars, when the car was purchased it came with plastic tubing in a horrible orange.

What have you guys used, im starting to loose my patience you seem to be unable to buy anything off the shelve for a RH2B :nea:

KEV

Guest T6 KFR

I went with the plastic drain pipe split in two as supplied but covered it with Carbon wrap. Have you got some left over?

Jez

hey,

i did think of that, but hoped there was a better "engineered" approach - but if that works...

yeh i have some 3m wrap left and will be ordering more from carbon mods.

do you have pics jez?

A mate of mine had some stainless cut and bent to fit.

I used sign makers plastic sheet bent over a former using a paint stripper hot air gun to soften it, covered in yoga mat the finished with Grey vynll.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/snapperpaul/6ab2fa5c.jpg

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest Alan_builder

Took me a long time to understand where the sill protectors were, I was thinking I don't have any sill protectors and how the rear panel could cause a problem,. Thanks to Snapper's photo it's the cockpit sill.

When I built my 2B i was given a piece of 40mm plastic drain pipe (B & Q). Zuse said to cut it lenthwise, stop, cut only one wall, you can now open it up some, cover it and clip it over the 38mm side chassis rail. It a bugger if you don't get your finger out in time, I remember well and that was 6+ years ago.

Zuse was the name of the dog in the build manual video's

Guest T6 KFR

Took me a long time to understand where the sill protectors were, I was thinking I don't have any sill protectors and how the rear panel could cause a problem,. Thanks to Snapper's photo it's the cockpit sill.

When I built my 2B i was given a piece of 40mm plastic drain pipe (B & Q). Zuse said to cut it lenthwise, stop, cut only one wall, you can now open it up some, cover it and clip it over the 38mm side chassis rail. It a bugger if you don't get your finger out in time, I remember well and that was 6+ years ago.

Zuse was the name of the dog in the build manual video's

And who would have thought when visiting B&Q years ago I would be using the store so much for car parts later on. Ill look and the plumbing section and see what they have, i did quite fancy trying to bend some plate across the sill to have that square edge look like the westfields etc...

hope to have these done soon ... just finishing the new rear bootlid and rear bulkhead panel.

Kev

Guest T6 KFR

The curved edge above the wheel arch on mine has started to look a little worn so I've just ordered some roll cage padding from safety devices, one piece of the stuff in the link below will do both sides.

Padding

They look ideal, and even better then bend into the required shape. I think ill have a look at their webiste and order some myself. I might put them on the roll bar at the back...the last owner went a bit paint happy...with a brush :-(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest T6 KFR

here are the before and after pics, padding is easy to cut with stanley knife or a decent pair of scissors, fixed with self tappers in plastic screw covers.

DSCF0890.jpg

DSCF0894.jpg

that looks a good match and fit - almost like it was made for the rear arch of a RH!