Registration Of A Kit Car

Guest Ben Conning

Guest Ben Conning

How do we avoid a Q plate?

We have no registration documents from the sierra donor car. All running gear in place with a mondeo engine in place.

Your help please.

You need to be able to prove the source of the components used so you will need a V5 showing the parts came from a particular donor. If the examiner is not happy with the provenance of any of the components you will get a Q plate!

Guest Alan_builder

How do we avoid a Q plate?

We have no registration documents from the sierra donor car. All running gear in place with a mondeo engine in place.

Your help please.

As the others have been saying you are up a Q plate with no where to go from what you have posted..

I presume you don't have the registration number? If you do try asking DVLA for a V5 you obviously lost the original.

You could buy a Sierra with a V5 and then change the engine to a Zetec and tell DVLA so your V5 says the zetec engine number. Now you build your car, Ho Ho and fill in the forms.

Simple

Collection of parts with no single donor = Q

Single donor with all or all but one major Componants used = age related ( same year as the donor)

All new parts used with one major Componant reconditioned = new reg

Kit reciept and V5 doc from donor + reciepts for other parts fitted is the minimum for an age related.

Your added complication is the fitting of an engine that does not match the donor vehicle and DVLA have tightened up engine swap procedure on V5's

The only reason to obsess over a Q plate is if you subsiquently want to fit a personal plate, the Q reg also gives easier emmissions at MOT.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hammy360

Mmmmm so I'd always planned on a Q but my car has all parts from one single donor bar the engine (zetec) So how do I prove all other parts are from one donor?

PS. I have the V5 from my sierra donor

just re-read the whole thread, so should I send the sierras v5 off saying I have changed to the zetec with its engine number?

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Hammy,

The first job in building your kit car was to change the engine in the Sierra to the one you want in the kit car. If you had had the Sierra taxed with the new engine DVLA can't say NO, So putting a V8 into the Sierra and paying road fund for 1 month after registering the change, DVLA have taken your money so the Sierra had a V8!

If you send in the V5 now to change the engine how long will you take to build your kit car? DVLA know it will be about a year for a new build. They have recently tightened up. So do it ASAP and see if you hit trouble.

Technically you need most of the items from the Sierra but not all for an age related plate. On one of the form you fill in you state the source of the components. The source of the components set your emissions. If you say the engine is brand new then you will need a cat and have to fit todays emissions. If you say the engine was from 2000 then you have to have a cat but a higher emissions level. Engines from a Sierra will be 3.5% Co2 and Hc1200ppm and no CAT easy to hit.

The last car I registered there was a problem with the engine number on the Pinto, I did get asked why and had to explain why an older Pinto had been fitted as per the V5.

Of coarse this post is blocked to prevent reading by anyone remotely connected with DVLA. The more we try to pass walnuts to be brazils the bigger the DVLA sledgehammer will become to make peanut butter for all, & we won't have our toys to play with.

If you have a V5 for all the parts except the engine you still have enough points for an age related plate.

If you read the notes on the registration documents you need to fill in for DVLA you get points for gearbox suspension axles steering brakes and I think some others.

Should be enough

Guest Alan_builder

Of coarse this post is blocked to prevent reading by anyone remotely connected with DVLA. The more we try to pass walnuts to be brazils the bigger the DVLA sledgehammer will become to make peanut butter for all, & we won't have our toys to play with.

No need for a private site, the DVLA have used the same rules since 2005 and there have been too many to count, "OTT" postings on how to register your car. I have only stated the DVLA rules. The DVLA are not the enemy! The enemy are those who break the rules such that when found out DVLA are forced to rewrite them and that is when draconian restrictions come in.

The DVLA can't stop you using any registered vehicle as a single donor!

Fair do's Stewart, my reasoning was "don't take the pi33 with engine swaps 'cause sooner or later some-one in government(local/national/europe)will get the hump & stop us all playing,like they seem to in Spain & I think Belgium;which is why some foreign cars are IVA tested in this country.

Guest Alan_builder

Stuart & Bob,

Yes you are both dancing round the kennal of the problem, European manufactures want to increase their markets and misguidedly believe the kit car builder will but their product if we can't make our own car. As they are not allowed to employ national protectionism stopping other manufacturers is their next best idea! That is the source of the European government pressure.

DVLA don't want to stop kit cars, quite a lot of them would loose their jobs! We all now how difficult it is to IVA a car. You will all remember it was Europe which made UK change from SVA to IVA for harmonization and yes most European countries don;t provide IVA testing stations for kit builders on the continent, so they come over here.