Rear Hub Retaining Bolts

Guest Jameslark

Guest Jameslark

Can anyone let me know the best place to get new hub retaining bolts for the Sierra back end?. Just about to fit some shims and can get three bolts undone but looks like a rottweiler with very large teeth has done up the fourth one. Can't shift it at the moment so lots of pen oil and a rounded head remover required on it. Can't believe something so simple can hold up a relatively simple job and seems that every job I touch at the moment is going slightly pear shaped!!!

Use an angle grinder to carve away the nut till you are almost down to the threaded 'axle'. Tends to release most of the pressure. It is supposed to be tight. 200 ft lbs. New nut from ford or if there is play the shims are not going to solve the wear problem and you need a wheel bearing kit which will have a new nut in it.

Nigel

Guest Jameslark

Yes I know I am of simple stock and it is the hub flange bolts ( well only one that is causing a problem) but thanks for the advice anyway as with my luck that will be the next part of the process!!

Guest mower man

Have you not got a fastener supplier /out let localy ? nut and bolts are much more hoodie frendly prices than main stealers etc ,take along a pattern and I think you will be surprised at the result ! some do get mardy i.e. min order nos etc but most are very happy to cash deal in small amounts HTH mowerman

De-camber shims!!!! Wrong tree, barking up, senior moment, Doh.

On the subject of seized bolts I always try 2 or 3 very heavy hits with a 5lb lump hammer directly on the head of the bolt depending on size of bolt and what its stuck in. Don't disintegrate the part. Heating the flange at the backside of the hub should also help.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smartfazer

Have you used a breaker bar on it? Normally the extra leverage with the pressure applied increasingly (not jerked or thumped) does the trick.

Hope I explained myself right there.

What I mean is put socket on nut, add breaker bar, apply even pressure and keep the pressure on without resorting to jumping up and down on the breaker bar. (Like I used to do all those years ago with stubborn wheel nuts)