Roll Bar Conversion S7

Guest Seanus01

Guest Seanus01

I have read posts about the front anti roll bar being replaced with tie bars on the s7. Mine is a mk3 with the inboard shocks and the front suspension is extremely hard. Some people have suggested replacing the anti roll bar with tie bars but cannot find a conversion. Is this a DIY solution?

A lot have people have gone to tiebars and it is a DIY conversion. However the factory front springs supplied were usually 180lb/in and were way too hard. Bouncing the front of the car up and down with both sides compressing equally should not involve the ARB in the equation and I suspect you will find the springs are way too stiff. 130lb/in or even 110lb/in have been used as much better choices.

Yes the ARB is much too thick for a seven but it isn't the only factor. Tie bars remove the too thick ARB problem but you might then want to add a soft ARB.

Nigel

Tie bars arent the only option I had good results on my old S7 moving the shocks outboard. I moved them out by 3 or 4 inches and this gave compliant suspension with the standard roll bar and 180lb springs. My thoughts where that the lever ratio was to great around 2:1 and the shock had to operate at twice the speed of what the wheel was doing on the road meaning it was way over damped. Getting nearer to a ratio of 1:1 on the rocking arm gives the damper chance to move, a normal wishbone set up would have a ratio less than 1:1 based on where the shock is mounted between wheel and chassis.

Jez

Guest shaggy

PM your postal address and I'll send free details and photos ,it works !!!!! mower man

Alternatively, PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of diagrams that Mick (Mowerman) sent to me. I did the conversion 2 weeks ago but have not yet had it out in anger to test the results. I'm quite sure it will be a massive improvement without the ARB as now when one side of the front is depressed, only one spring compresses as opposed to both springs going down as they used to.

Thanks again Mick for the drawings, and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Si