Gaps Around The Bell Housing

Guest iank

I've just taken delivery of my gearbox and mated it up to the Zetec black top engine.

But... I've now got some gaps around the bell housing.

Most noticable is on the inlet side where the fly wheel is quite exposed. But also there are gaps around the starter motor mounting.

I've attached pictures....

How have others addressed these gaps?

Presumably some sort of metal gasket is required.

post-8958-0-10878100-1332538958_thumb.jpg

post-8958-0-64091900-1332538969_thumb.jpg

Hi Ian,

You can cut out the shape for that large gap from some spare sheet aluminium and use the bolt hole to fasten it in place.

That smaller gap can be cut out of thin tin plate, possibly top of a roses tin would be the right thickness.

Looks like a type 9 gearbox?

Simon.

Cheers Simon,

Putting a 'gasket' around the start motor should work. However, what doesn't show up very well in the picture is the gap on the inlet side extends below the bell house to block fixing. There about an inch gap between the mounting on the block and the sump casting. The only way i can see to close that out is to put a 'gasket' between the block and the bell housing, but of course that will just open up an even bigger albeit it thinner gap.

Presumably the same gap appeared with the MT75?

As you have spotted its a type 9 box, with First Motions FM283 heavy duty gearset. The bell housing is aluminium from SPC Components (tracsport) and fits perfectly flush with the raceline sump.

Quite normal. Thin steel sandwich plate is the norm just like the one you took out from between the pinto and type 9. This was/is mine. Modified pinto/9. Important it goes all the way round to avoid angular misalignment of engine and box..

Nigel

post-21-0-36251800-1332545074_thumb.jpg

"Proper job" would be to blue print the face of engine & on the same alignment the gearbox bell housing,remove all thats inside the inner most line/s & leave a gasket to the outer line/s.

Nigel types quicker than me.

what do you gain by filling them up?

metal plate adds weight

safer, if you are prone to stick your hands into the engine compartment when the engine is running, assuming you have small enough hands to get near there in the first place

some may say looks nicer, (Ducati & Harley have cut away clutch covers as options), some may not.

is it a mechanical necessity?

will it work better if it is fitted?

will it cause problems if it isn't?

what do the factory do?

is it just late, and I should be in bed? thats most defiantly the case.

I wouldn't bother, but some would, nothing wrong with either way.

the choice is yours. :)

good night all

Guest Boffy

Hi Ian,

I have the Zetec & MT75, this also has a gap, I was going to make a small plate out of Ali and bolt/glue it on.

I am sure I read somwhere (could be on RHOCAR somewhere) that Westfield or someone dont bother filling the gaps.

Dave

Thanks for all the info folks.

To close this out:

I'd prefer to keep the s**t and my fingers out of the way of the flywheel. (Strangely I'm less concerned about the alternator belt! Maybe its cos the flywheel has teeth - any psychiatrists out there :-))

As stated Westfield don;t seem to to bother, the quote being ' theres enough turbulence to keep the dust out', doesnt stop fingers getting mangled tho.

I saved 7KG by having the SPC bell housing - so I can spare the odd few ounces. A good lunch weighs more.

I dont have a donor so no existing plate to reuse /copy.

RWD deny all knowledge of the plate.

I found this referenced in another blog:

http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/node/197

Thanks for all the feedback - as usual its been invaluable.