Diff

Guest tom-zero

Guest tom-zero

hi guys I'm after some advice I'm looking on eBay to buy a rear diff some are listed as push in type drive shafts and 7 inch diff other than ratios are they all the same ? I guess what I want to no is, is the 7 inch diff with push in driveshafts the correct type for a zero.

My second question is about ratios I would like it to be a good all round car with the odd track day I am thinking 3.62 ??? It will be using an mt75 gearbox

And I gues my third question is does anyone have one they want to sell lol

All advice is greatly welcomed

Thanks Tom

Guest chrispine

Hi, as far as I know all diffs with push in shafts are open diffs and good for up to about 200bhp, try to get a limited slip diff if you can,

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649

heavier duty drive shafts and disc brakes, as for ratio, I've just put a 3.62 in mine, not driven it yet but other threads recommend this for the road, 3.92 will give better acceleration but higher revs on the road, depends what driving you're going to do and what diffs are for sale, I don't think 3.92 was available as lsd but you can make your own.

What are you doing for a doner car? Just a thought, but if you use a 2nd hand 'box and drive axle from different cars you'll probably end up with a Q plate unless you lie on the forms ;)

Chris

Guest tom-zero

was going to buy all parts required as i need them recondition them then paint them for the ( as new ) look lol i want to get a new reg plate was speeking with keith yesterday he thought this should be ok i just cant afford the prices for recon from them they wanted 500 just for a diff lol

I've got a 3.92 if you want it. It was fully rebuilt for my Zero but I've swapped it now due to the impending fitment of a monster engine.

It's painted black, spotlessly clean and ready to fit.

Yours for £75.

If you have rear disc brakes it is likely you will need bolt on shafts (Lobro).

If you have drum brakes then should be push fit.

7" refers to the crown wheel diameter

Push fit diffs rarely have LSD's or at least I have not seen one.

I do have a push fit 7" LSD but it has a Quafe ATB fitted

I fitted the type with push in driveshafts and I also have rear disc brakes for my zero build.

It is a 3.92 though and I think it might need changing in the future for the 3.62. (Wish I'd known earlier - but heck it accelerates well :) )

Simon.

Guest tom-zero

Thanks for all your input it has helped me to decide to get a 3.62 push fit diff a LSD would be nice but don't think my pockets are deep enough lol also how do you identify the diff will the ratio be stamped into the casing ?

Thanks again

No, it's usually a tag held on by one of the rear cover bolts. (Usually missing though!)

Safest option is too turn the input flange 10 turns and count how many turns the driveshaft does, then divide by ten for the ratio.

You could turn it once, but its more accurate if you do 5, 10 etc...

Guest tom-zero

Thanks for that link Chris I just looked into it and for what u get that's not a bad price I will watch it and hope it don't go up in price to much

Might get a LSD after all lol

Has anyone driven a zero with LSD and one without LSD is there much difference ?

So would I be expecting to see it turn 36 times say if I turn input 10 time please excuse my stupidity lol

Yes mate, you would. If it's in the car, only jack up one wheel to turn it or if on the bench, hold one of the driveshafts in place to stop it turning, then count the opposite side. (This ensures the diff isn't giving you an incorrect reading).

Hi,

would a 3.9 be good with a 1.6 pinto. Not sure what i have at the moment (definitely push in) but it doesn't accelerate that fast and i can hit 60 in 2nd just touching red. Mine also leaks from the front flange despite my attempts to stop it. grrr

thanks

It's a combination of engine max revs, gearbox ratios, diff ratio and tyre size.

All these have an effect

With a 3.62 what you gain in first and second you loose in 3rd and 4th

If your engine will rev and most Pintos will go to 6800 without trouble then the top speed is unreachable

If you use a gear speed calculator you can fiddle with ratios and tyre size and get a good idea of what will work for you.