Zero Rear Brake

Thrashed

It is possible that the shoes are the wrong way round. You will notice that the pad comes further round to the "top" on one of them. One is meant as a "leading" brake shoe and the other a trailing brake shoe. (Can't remember which right now). Only way to get two leading shoes is two cylinders or actuators. Then both shoes would look the same.

You "can" flip the shoes over and it looks like they will still fit. You can't "rotate" round though, they won't fit that way.

How do I know? I remember fitting shoes to my mini years ago and getting it wrong.

Simon.

Without any swapping of bits from side to side it is surely logical that you can rotate the left brake assembly 90 degrees clockwise and the right assembly 90 degrees anticlockwise and end up with all the bits correctly positioned for top pull brake cable on both sides. If that is not the case on your set-up then I think you must have assembled something wrong. The shoes still lead and trail just as before and should function as before.

Nigel

post-21-0-43365000-1335266813_thumb.jpg

i know when i built mine i had to take the rh hub off and move to the LHS and take the LHS off and move to the RHS this was so as to enable the holes to line up with the hub carrier did you do this. will have a look tonight to see if the cylinders are to the front or rear of the car.

the other thing I was told by GBS is that if you are using their small hand break then you need to use the hole nearest to the handle as the one furthest away does not give you sufficient force to pass iva.

phil

I am not saying this is right but both cylinders are at the rear, as advised by GBS and fellow members. It goes against the 20 years in the automotive industry but there's probably another hundred things on kit cars which is not the norm.

I have attached some photos that may help. Brakes on donor, back plates after painting and right hand side rear kit car brakes.

Regards

Mark

post-4145-0-71847700-1335332747_thumb.jpg

post-4145-0-99833100-1335332753_thumb.jpg

post-4145-0-14789700-1335332769_thumb.jpg

post-4145-0-15231200-1335332782_thumb.jpg

I am not saying this is right but both cylinders are at the rear, as advised by GBS and fellow members. It goes against the 20 years in the automotive industry but there's probably another hundred things on kit cars which is not the norm.

I have attached some photos that may help. Brakes on donor, back plates after painting and right hand side rear kit car brakes.

Regards

Mark

Thanks Mark. The last picture is probably the most usefull as my cylinder is in the same place on the drivers side, but your shoes are totally different. The shoe with the handbrake on yours is at the top and on mine it's at the bottom. Really starting to think I have been supplied 2 right shoe kits!!

Cheers

Steve