Paperwork Help

Guest danny_samb

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of. I found that I had put the forms in before Christmas expecting a long wait and they came back quite quickly and as I wasn't ready they kindly put me on the "to do" pile and when I got back to them after Christmas, a date was arranged fairly quickly.

I took the brave option though and drove the car to the IVA station. Only time you can do this without licence plates :) (Need insurance on the chassis number though which means you have to pass IVA and get number plate from DVLA fairly promptly afterwards :( )

Simon.

Guest danny_samb

Ye I'm going to fill it up at the weekend, how far up do I need to fill it, up the pipe or just the tank, do I need to box in the pipe in the boot

They are too fussed about up to the brim as I obviously had used fuel to

get the car from Doncaster to Nottingham which is a fair trip.

I think as long as there is more than half full or so should be ok.

If you are on a trailer, then yes, I suppose they would want a full tank.

So long as the gauge says full it should be ok even if there is some space left.

You don't have to box the pipe in. I did which meant they couldn't check if it was fuel grade hose. (It is of course)

Simon.

Take a box with extra trim, some silicon sealer, spare wires & crimps, some spanners and screwdrivers.

Basically a small FIX IT box.

They let you put small things right and it may dig a pass out of a silly fail.

Oh I *DO* agree with the post fr om Snapperpaul above.

Mine did not exactly pass first time but I was allowed to fix minor problems there and then. Like having to stamp the VIN on the chassis if they don't like what you've done.

I think I took rather too much "fix it kit" and most just ended up sitting on the floor of the test centre. At least it did save the re test fee :)

Simon.

Do a search on the IVA forum using your test centre name which will show threads related to tests there - you can see what people fail on and make sure your car complies. Some inspectors have specific things they look for.

My test was at Derby, and I saw a number of people had failed on the brake caliper bolts not having a locking device on them, so I made sure I had spring washers on my bolts (despite most manufacturers not actually using them). I didn't pass first time but my fail list was only about 10 items.

Guest lewthepoo
I took the brave option though and drove the car to the IVA station. Only time you can do this without licence plates :) (Need insurance on the chassis number though which means you have to pass IVA and get number plate from DVLA fairly promptly afterwards :( ) Simon.

???? What? Is this definately allowed? This seems crazy to me...although it will save me some money hiring a trailer. Saying that I do have a 25 mile journey to get to the test centre.

Yes, it is allowed to drive without plates for this occasion. You can't however drive it the to DVLA after the IVA - crazy rules yes :)

My trip was a 47 mile to the test centre but it was longer coming back home ! (I got lost officer - honest :) )

You can see the car on the GBS blog at the end of January this year.

You are not even allowed trade plates - nothing at all except carry your appointment letter and certificate of insurance in case you are stopped. (The police seem to be aware of these one off trips in an obvious kit car though)

Doesn't stop you taking the long route back home afterwards though :)

Simon.

Several "cop cars" passed me while on the way to the IVA and not one stopped me, one even waved! I felt guilty all the way there and back though! Do take tools and odds and ends and research nearby DIY stores in case you need something you haven't though of! There was no mention of how much fuel I had although I guess he inferred that from the tank gauge?