Left Indicator Ok, Right Puts Hazards On! Help!?

edbond

I picked up my first super spec last weekend, and noticed the weirdness with the indicators. The guy I brought it off suggested it was the relay which is isn't (tried new relay which is suitable for mixed bulbs/led). The column switch tested ok, and also disconnected hazard switch too.

My next thought is to disconnect the indicators one by one on the right to try and identify if it's one. Then I run out of ideas other than replacing cable.

Can I check which order does the power go? Ignition switched to relay (3 pin) to column switch / harvard switch the onto lights which then ground to chasis?

If so, I also thought to run a fused cable from + on battery to each indicator cable in column switch, lights would just come on constantly?

Any thoughts help greatly appreciated.

Ed

Cheers for this, on mine it's a 3 pin relay, and the the indicator stalk only has 3 connections. The wiring diagram I got with the car suggests that 1 cable goes to wiper side of the connector which I don't understand, unless the relay is used for intermitant wipe?

Ed

If you are using sierra combined hazard/indicator/lights/wipers/horn stalks then the only likely possibility is an internal failure in the column switch. If you are using aftermarket stalks and switches we need to know which ones and what their circuits look like.

The sierra circuits you would have for your indicators/hazards are like the pic below. I haven't shown fuses.

Ignition switched power for indicators goes to T.54 on column switch, then out at T.49 to relay T.49.

Constant live power for hazards goes to T.30 on column and then out (when hazard switch is on) via T.49 to the relay T.49.

I have shown single dash bulb but some sierras had a pair, each fed by one side only.

There is a wire from left to right column switches between T.56 on each but this is to do with the lights.

Make sure the 'afterthought' earth terminal on the column switches is earthed.

Nigel

post-21-0-55731600-1339284333_thumb.jpg

Cheers for this, should their be diodes either side of the dash lamp? If I read this diagram correctly, the dash bulb could cause the hazard flash if one diode failed or was missing?

Not sure of the origin of the stalk, it's the standard one that comes with the superspec kit, indicator on the right combined with lights, wiper on left. Don't think there is a combined hazard, have a separate switch for that.

Thanks

Ed

No diodes with single dash indicator bulb. The bulb itself limits the crossover current possible.

If you have non sierra stuff then obviously these circuits are no use to you. Without knowing what you have I can't hope to see what the problem is. I wonder if it ever worked properly. If the hazards work OK then I would be thinking it's down to the switches, hazard or indicator.

Nigel

Ah ok, that makes sense. The guy I brought it from has fitted an extra indicator notification lamp, using heavy gauge able and a normal car interior lamp. Have taken out the bulb and that didn't help.

Would it pass iva if they didn't?

Will take some photos see if any one can recognise them! Will also ask rh what they are!

I disconnected the cable that goes to back of switches, which contains feed from relay (49a I assume, but will check) and l & r indicator cable. I then shorted between 49a and l then 49a and r in turn. I did this with the hazard button fully disconnected.

I haven't had a chance to investigate more today, digging foundations for the garage for the car.

Cheers

Ed

• 5 weeks later...

Ah the simplest solutions.....started disconnecting all indicators to test.....turns out its the side left repeater (thanks to someone on here who said a dim light is normally the problem light....spot on)

Time to replace some cabling as can't see the ground fault!