The Rv8 Rebuild Is Well Underway...

Shaft

Thanks to the "50 Shades of Gray" phenomenon I've had more garage time this evening.

Latest pics below... :D

A good view of the finished inlet ports. I spent some time polishing the push rods to a mirror finish to aid oil supply down them to the cups in

the cam followers.

IMAG0301.jpg

Thin composite head gasket compared to standard to raise compression ratio by 1/2 a point.

IMAG0297.jpg

One head and valve gear all fitted. Just need to shim the rocker pedestals to achieve the correct cam follower pre load.

Also a good view of the finished exhaust ports.

IMAG0300.jpg

Guest Tim Norman

260 brake! Me thinks the paltry 230 I get from my 4.0l needs looking at!. But I must get some miles on it first and money in the bank before I start pulling it apart and treating it to some "Shaft" style love and attention.

260 brake! Me thinks the paltry 230 I get from my 4.0l needs looking at!. But I must get some miles on it first and money in the bank before I start pulling it apart and treating it to some "Shaft" style love and attention.

Tim, if I recall correctly yours was a new crate engine? If so, your biggest bhp/torque increase to start with

would be to sort the ports out. Rover had a really good knack of making them particularly sh1te at flowing air!

Just opening out the valve bowls and blending the step that is behind the valve seats is worth 20bhp alone.

Stick a decent cam in (.440" lift max without needing to alter guides or pocket pistons) is another 25bhp.

If you've already got 230.... You do the maths mate. ;)

Guest Tim Norman

Need to get some miles in it first. The heads are of a 4.6L and its a Hurricane cam which I'm told is a bit "soft" Oh and it already has rhodes lifters.

What do you use shape the ports?

Need to get some miles in it first. The heads are of a 4.6L and its a Hurricane cam which I'm told is a bit "soft" Oh and it already has rhodes lifters.

What do you use shape the ports?

3.9, 4.0, 4.2 & 4.6 are all the same heads mate. Only the 3.5 heads are different with the exception being the SD1 Vittesse type.

Pop round mate and i'll show you whats what and where the problem areas are.

Hurricane isn't to bad, but compared to some it is on the tame side.

Tools used you ask... pic below is easier than a description mate.

IMAG0311.jpg

Guest Tim Norman

Sounds like a winter Project. Might get some spare heads and work on those rather than wreck the pair I have. I will pop round when I finally sort out the few niggles I have!