Zero Vs R6, Or 2B?

Guest Pond

Guest Pond

Hi,

I was wondering what the main differences are in a Zero to a Tiger R6?

I am looking for a car at the moment but don't know much about them, apart from reading stuff on the forums and speaking to Tiger, who said theirs are the best (not biased of course) and that RH (and all other kits) are rubbish!!

I want something built, but which I can potentially tinker with if I want to. I would like a zetec-engined car as I'm no mechanic, but am not going to spend a fortune. It is a sunny day toy, after all.

any advice/ pros and cons appreciated.

Ta

Pond

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Pond,

Welcome to RHOCAR.

I don't think there is much difference between the Zero and Tiger when factory built. Go to the next big Kit car show and see what you get for your buck in the way of hardware, what the finish is like, but remember this is a show car you see.

Go to the club stands and talk to the guys who have a car there. Each owner will be enthusiastic and we will talk about the good bits as well as the bad bits, we are owners not manufacturers.

You will need a clear idea of what you want to do on those fine days. I drive my 2B all winter but I have a heater and a hood. May I suggest you spend a lot of time thinking about your use of the car. Is it a race car or a fast tourer you want or a bit of all things. Will you go to the Sunday and evening meets? The Kit car shows, charity events make new friends and go camping, to the tours of the UK and beyond to France, Le Mans and other events there and in Europe wide?

If I say the Westfield owners tend to trailer their cars to Europe because there is no boot space you will understand the limitation of the car. I don't know of a track problem with the Westfield only price.

You will find whatever car you have RHOCAR is one if not the best clubs, you don't even need a car to join RHOCAR it's £15. We have more members attending than any other kit car / club, our Area's can produce the same turnout as many other clubs.

So in a nut shell RHOCAR first, car second. Yes its good have the same as others but as RHOCAR I went to Holland with 2 Robin Hoods out of 7 cars (prior to the Zero). It was great to see and talk to other members with different cars.

The Zetec is used for power, the Pinto is a much stronger unit well some say, make sure you get the power you need, power costs money. Try and get a ride in any you find you can fit in.

Guest zoomzoom

Hi the main difference between the zero and the tiger r6 is the rear suspension. The zero has double wishbone rear suspension and the r6 has a de-dion rear suspension I believe.

I have a zero and and use it on the road and track and can't fault it as it is quick and responsive.

The last time I drove a tiger was about 5 years ago and it was also fast and agile.

HTH

Marcus

Guest Alan_builder

my rh 2b had no boot my westfield has? i also tow a trailer tent behind it, maybe westfield owners can afford to trailer there cars there, i wouldnt want to drive that far in any kit! bit of a pointless comment that alan...

Shame you didn't have and haven't got a kit you can drive overseas. Who & what does that reflect on?

Why didn't your 2B have a Boot? Cos you never fitted one? Sorry I think your comment is the pointless one.

The 2B chassis has space for a bigger boot than the Westfield!

Guest Pond

Sorry for not introducing myself first. I thought I had already posted on here so didn't realise it was a 'virgin' post until after i pressed the GO button (it must have been locostbuilders and tigerownersclub)!

I have had a look at a couple of Tigers, one an R6 (previous race car) and an Avon (at Tiger).

I am on 5ft 9, about 11 stone, so not big. The R6 actually fitted like a glove!

I only want the car as a sunny day toy, not any distances at all. I have two new Jap cars for that, and drive 25k a year for work.

If I'm honest, it's the relatively low cost of second hand RHs that appeals, as I won't use it much. I don't want a track car (yet!), just a road car.

I am looking at 7s because historically I have always bought bikes as summer toys (38 in total since I was 16). I have come to the conclusion that I am getting a bit old for sports bikes (44 but with the early signs of arthritis), so kits seemed a logical step.

I do like the idea of going to meets, I was a very active member of the Mitsubishi Lancer Register 10 years ago when I had an Evo and enjoyed the banter and outings.

I have never really worked on cars, but I am very practical, am an engineer by trade (refrigeration) and like challenges.

I have also built a huge double garage recently and having finished using it as a workshop (for building works), it is very empty and needs filling!

I know I'm thick, but what are the advantages/ disadvantages between de-dion and wishbone rear suspension?

sorry to ramble (but I do, a lot!)

Pond

I got my car with the intention of using as you intend to but, thats not what happened so far have done france twice thought 3000 miles would be enough when i first got it now have to insure for 5000. have done all but Exeter kit car show and last weekend ended up off roading at hollowell steam show. in conclusion what ever you think you are going to do you will probably do more. All the above posts have relevant comments but like mine are from that owners view.

Shame you didn't have and haven't got a kit you can drive overseas. Who & what does that reflect on?

Why didn't your 2B have a Boot? Cos you never fitted one? Sorry I think your comment is the pointless one.

The 2B chassis has space for a bigger boot than the Westfield!

Calm down dear! I think Dan's point is that with cars like these, they are what you make of them, whatever the make.

Guest bigstuff

Hi Andy, welcome aboard, from my limited experience 2b offers best value for money and tinkerability. I've recently talked to several mechanics who have worked on all forms of the 7 format, and all have said the same thing, that the 2 b seems to have the most robust chassis, and the pinto is definitely the most robust and trouble free engine. I'm including caterham and Westfield in that judgement. Just make sure you go for wishbone fronts. I have 2 ltr efi variant of the pinto and is plenty quick enough. They are all what they are, and every one is an individual, so make it what you want to. What sort of money do you want to outlay inisially ?

alan as u often do u are talking twaddle! my westy would go anywhere. its me that wont go to france or beyond why because i.m not even remotely interested been there in fact lived in canne. my car is built with performance in mind ie 400hp per ton lets see you keep up with it in your heavy under powered rh.

if i want to go touring i will use my modern tintop. we are all different in what we use these cars for and that reflects in the design.

With people like you bashing other brands is it a wonder why the club is in decline?

Guest zoomzoom

Hi well if you can rebuild a fridge you might be over qualified to build a zero.

The car is simple to build/run and I find half the fun is working out something new with the car, as phil says you will be surprised with the use you put the car too.

The main difference with the suspension is just the engineering solution applied.

The zero has independent suspension so each wheel can move/react to the road surface independent from the other wheels to a great extent (they are all connected to the same chassis of course so not totally independent )

De-dion is a beam connection both rear hubs which can move independent from each other but to a lesser extent, so it's sort of semi independent

Both provide excellent solutions but the double wishbones are the better IMHO

HTH

Bigstuff/ Zoomzoom,

Thanks for the explanation. I want to spend no more than £5k initially, as I have ideas of what i want to do to it which will cost another £1k ish. Mostly cosmetic changes, ie I want to vinyl wrap the whole car in matt black and CF, change the wheels (unless it has pro race 1.2s) and lights. I am thinking if i get a Zetec there is plenty of scope to tune, if I want to later!

Blimey, the mods on here seem to be very laid back (which is always a good thing). Every other forum I have been on in the past would have told the two off for arguing on a newbie's first thread! I don't mind, just a little distracting to hi-jack a thread aimed at asking purely for information, do you not think??

Edited by Pond

Guest mower man

All in all having a toy is what it's all about ,if you want a touring type car ,I would pick any of the stuff mentioned but not super tuned ,aero screened etc ,yes the Tiger is a little tight so is the orig Zero and hush my mouth the Caterham . Other stuff tuned to extremes ,if thats your bag ok but can be very tiring to drive any distanceand apain in traffic [ snappy clutches no tractability etc] , these are personal observations after 40k miles with a aRH s7 slightly warmed 2.1 pinto ,others may not agree and that is ok by me what ever does the trick it's your choice . Idealy I would have 2 one for touring /show and a ultra light mental high horse power granny frightener HTH mower man

Hi, welcome along. :)

I have a Zero and love it, fast, agile and a great base for future mods.

Negatives targeted for your OP would be the alloy panels are a bitch to keep clean (dead splattered

badger guts also doesn't help) where as the Tiger has FG panels. These are a lot easier to keep looking

nice and show ready. St/ Steel is even worse in my opinion.

As already mentioned, the Tiger is small compared to the Zero and even smaller when placed along

side a 2B, so these options can only honestly be answered by you "trying for size" the various cars.

As Rob (CMA) said, there's going to be cars nearby to you I'm sure.

Also, the size variance between the kits isn't just biased at you, the driver, fitting it, but also

at the limitations of possible engine swaps you may wish to do in years to come.

As a good alround cruiser that's pretty quick and fairly comfortable on the longer journeys you

probably won't beat the 2B. For out and out fun, the Zero / Tiger would be the winner for me.

Don't forget to look at others as already mentioned, such as the MK Indy, MNR, etc...

The SR2 mentioned above is a very new kit, so probably not available as used second hand yet.

I go camping at the shows with all the camping gear and associated gubbins no problem.

(No problem if you count no passenger space as not a problem!). ;)

HTH,

Nick.