Black Top Head On St170 Block

Guest zoomzoom

Guest zoomzoom

Looking to fit a turbo to my zero over the winter months.

Has anyone out there fitted a blacktop head to a ST170 bottom end (I hear they have forged pistons and updated rods)

Just thinking out loud as I have access to a st170 engine but don't want to go along the route of expensive ecu's and vvt.

And I quite like the word Turbo

Guest zoomzoom

Turbo = More Fuel use...

..Just a friendly reminder from the person you'll lap hundreds of times once fitted.... :)

And I was thinking of fitting a smaller fuel tank to save on weight

Also I have gone on a diet since barkstone and have eaten only lentils for the past month.

Good question and I have been thinking along similar lines. I don't know a definite answer but as the block is supposed to be the same as a blacktop block you should be OK. Crank steel, rods sintered but the ST170 pistons although uprated are not forged. I imagine it would take a low pressure blower without mods. All the changes were above the head gasket as far as I know.

I have thought long and hard about putting a blacktop head on mine this winter as it has a cheaper and well proven tuning route to follow which isn't shabby. I want to stay normally aspirated for now.

Nigel

Guest zoomzoom

So far I'm looking at all options but as ever cost will be an issue

I have a set of forged pistons from a turbo vauxhall engine... Some machining needed to fit to black top but means I don't have to use a decompression plate.

Standard RS exhaust manifold is cheap only £70 new

Second hand turbo or a new Chinese copy?

GBS inlet manifold

New inter cooler about £100 and some pipes etc

AA membership £50

instead of messing about, buy this lovelly looking chav mobile, ignore the car, check its heart out http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a24c2766b

Hmm, He states it as a 2.1 zetec turbo and goes on to say it still says 1.8 on the Logbook ?!? That would make insurance null and void Hmm? (Unless he comes clean with the insurance companies - but if the DVLA thinks it's a 1.8 which is what the insurance check to find details of the vehicle?)

Looks dodgy to me ... :) ?

Simon.

Guest zoomzoom

I have been looking at the Nissan engine/box for a while and if I find a good one I might go for it, been to see 2 but both where missing bit and just looked completely shagged.

Guest alfaGTA

what about a turbo'd mx5 lump? No decomp plate or piston's to change, has a strong compact intake plenum already, exhaust manifolds are cheaper and plentiful, gearbox is sweet and is a well trodden path with megasquirt maps already available....