Mx5 Engine Removal

WallerZ

Hi All,

I have been stripping a Mazda MX5 Eunos Roadster for donor parts for my GBS Zero. I was wondering if anyone in the Cannock area have had any experience of doing this and/or could lend a hand? I have never dropped an engine before and would be extremely thankful if someone could be on hand with help, knowledge and an extra pair of hands.

PM me if you can help, I'm looking to do it between Wedbesday and Tuesday (12/12 -> 18/12) next week.

Cheers,

Zach

P.s. This is a blog I've put together for anyone who might be interested in following :)

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

Its pretty straight forward Zach.

Its easier to take out the gearbox and engine together. To do this you will need to drop off the Aluminium strengthening strut underneath (looks like an Aluminium girder), remove the gear knob. Disconnect the prop shaft. Drain the gear box oil (otherwise it will pour out of the prop end when removed.

Disconnect all electrical connections and pipes/ hoses.

Remove the radiator. Undo the 2 engine mounts and it should pretty much lift out(use the engine lifting eyes on sides of cam cover. Make sure you have a decent engine hoist as this will make the whole task so much easier.

Good luck HTH

I don't know MX5s so this is just a thought from when i took my sierra apart so please correct if this won't work. If you don't need the old body from the mx5 i would cut the front out. Do what Tazzzzman1 says but then just drop the engine to the floor (if you don't have a hoist) or hold it on an engine hoist and then just roll the car back out of the way. Saves having to lift it up and over everything swinging around on an engine hoist with gearbox oil dropping out of the prop hole (does this happen on the mx5 box - certainly does on the type 9).

has the bonus of playing with an angle grinder :)

hth

I am borrowing a engine hoist from a friend, unfortunately they aren't available to help. I don't have access to a angle grinder (1. not trusted with one and 2. have no power in the garage :sorry: )

I guess it will be a case of taking things off, labeling them up and seeing what comes off to move it lol. Seems to have been working so far! Also looking like a trip to find some funnels and containers for all the fluids!

Still looking for someone to lend a hand if available, would be much appreiciated!

Cheers,

Zach