Advice On A 2b?

eddieH

Hi there. I'm considering buying a RH 2B kit in the next year or so and was wondering whether people had found it to be a good experience. I'm an engineering student and so wasn't planning on buying much more than the basic kit to keep costs down (I might stretch to the stainless panels cos they look awesome!). I plan on getting the sierra donor this summer and stripping it down before buying the 2B - is this wise or should I buy the kit first? Any advice would be much appreciated - I've looked at the forum in the last week or so and it seems that the support and backup provided by others is really great. I hope to be at the Newark car show on the sunday - will there be any rhocar members there who I'd be able to chat to? Thanks for your help.

Ed

Hi Eddie,

I got a RH also because it was one of the cheepest, my car cost £2500 to get on the road, I didn't get any fancy stuff but I did get the SS pannels and a hood. I think this is probably one of the cheeper builds as the average seems to be nearer £3.5K.

I'd get the donor car first but make sure you get the correct one, there are lots of different Sierras about! this site is the best place to ask. Check out the insurance befor you start as well, there are lots of good companys to try.

If you're an engineering student then you should find the build fun!

I'll be going to Newark, I generaly stick my avarta (animated thing on the left) in the windscreen if you want a chat.

Happy hunting.

Eddie,

i am an engineer myself and my son is just about to become an engineering student and we have had great fun thoughout the past year buildinga s/s 2B. It does take slight 'tweaking' ;) to get the whole kit finished but you will get alot of help along the way.

We managed to complete ours for about 4k ish, but we did go for wishbone front suspension which i recomend.

I will also try to get to newark.

If you put your location in your profile you may have some members near by who are willing to show off their creation.

Robbie

Buying again I'd definitely go for stainless panels AND chassis, and get the wishbones. Stainless doesn't give you problems of painting and sealing it like mild does. Ok so some say to paint the welds, but you don't have to worry about rust, and you will be drilling an aweful lot of holes into it to fix the panels on, P clip the wiring etc etc. On the suspension front, lots of people are removing sliding pillars from their cars, but I don't think this is an option with RHSC these days. Their new 2B (2004 model) is either wishbones or mini-macphearson struts. Personally I don't like the headlamp position with the mini McP's - they're too high above the bonnet line for my liking. The wishbone is also more established with loads of 2B's out there running a wishbone setup. I'd also get a fuel tank as the Sierra one is huge and leaves virtually no boot. You could swap this at a later date though.

The big savings in cost are in the trim. Using Sierra dials saves a fair amount over seperate instruments, and you can always do a new dash later on once you're on the road.

Don't underestimate the amount of money you'll be spending on nuts and bolts, especially if they're stainless, and fuel pipes, new clutch, degreaser, paint for donor parts, new oil seals and gaskets, etc etc etc.

A full breakdown of what I spent where on my car is on my web site. www.ant-a.co.uk and it'll be bang up to date in about 5 minutes time!

Ant

I agree with Ant on this one.

Ordered the wishbones, s/steel panels and fuel tank but had the mild steel chassis because I was going over budget, wish I'd have gone for the s/steel chassis now.

Spent lots on s/steel bolts, nyloc nuts, washers and rivets but everything else was used from my donor to keep the cost down.

If you are on a tight budget then the basic kit is still ok as you can have just as much fun driving it.

There will be lots of Robin Hoods at Newark, pop along and have a chat.

Les

The only problem with what Ant & Les has said (& I agree whole-hearted with all they say) is that you can only get the wishbone suspension kit, with ALL the plus pack as well, at £3000 +vat, with another £315 +vat for the weather gear. My suggestion would be to look out for a part built wishbone kit, but be prepared to hire a trailer & travel for it.

Is the 2B still available with the original sliding pillar set-up?

The subsequent wishbone conversion from RS Jigtec should only add about £450

for a diy fit (needs welding) & it'd be easier to do it during the build.

If you go this route KEEP THE STEERING RACK!! & dont butcher the hubs.

Should save about £1000 on a Plus kit.

For more info on the conversion, send me a PM.

Cheers, Bob.

Wow!!! Thanks for all your replies - they're all really helpful. I'd not thought about getting a half-built one - that's something I'll definitely look into. The stainless chassis sounds a good idea too. Do wishbones give much better handling than the standard sliding pillars as well as looking better? I look forwards to seeing some of you at Newark. Thanks again for your help.

Ed

Guest Charles B

I would second what Jim says. Definitely look for a wishbone kit. I bought the basic kit, stainless with wishbones. Several people I know who bought the extras never used them and ended up buying extras like seats etc. I would go for a part built kit at the moment, I'm sure there are plenty around, and usually very good value. Be prepared to pull the whole lot apart and start again though!

Wow!!! Thanks for all your replies - they're all really helpful.

That's what we're here for! :lol:

Do wishbones give much better handling than the standard sliding pillars as well as looking better?

Just to clarify - sliding pillar 2B's aren't sold by RHSC any more. The choice is mini Mc P's or wishbones. The "looking better" is my own personal choice - others may not agree. As for the better handling, well if they're built correctly and time is then spent setting them up, I reckon they all _should_ handle well. The wishbone setup is the standard for this sort of car, and as Jim says you have more options to tune the suspension with wishbones than the other methods.

I reckon the choice will come down to availability and budget in the end. I'd rather have a mild steel car with wishbones than a stainless one with sliding pillars, but others wouldn't agree. You can have just as much fun with any of the options, and that's the number 1 priority. :D

The final option to consider is to get a pre-built car, and then enjoy driving it at the same time as modifying it to your choosing.

Ant

Guest daveg

Eddie

Don't get mild steel to save money :(

I did and I seriously regret it. The paint costs a fortune and is a pain to do. You can paint the stainless and you only have to do 1 side thus saving a fortune in paint...

Jim is always right :p so his suggestion to get a part build that someone has given up on is a good one.

Dave