Budget Cost Of A Zero

Guest filwaf

If you went down the MX5 route, I'd recommend it from a cost perspective as parts are very easy to get hold of. You will also find them much much cheaper than the Zetec route....

I bought an engine with 60K miles, everything on it including starter, ECU, injectors etc etc for £180.00.

The other great thing is that it is also much cheaper to upgrade the power(either Turbo or super charge) without doing any engine internal mod's (engine is designed with turbo's in mind) :acute: :db:

I wouldn't fit a brand new engine and injection. Zetecs last for 150,000+. A good 2.0L silvertop can be installed with bike carbs for 500 quid. New zetec and emerald will be at least a grand more. And a pre 1995 engine gets you easy emissions targets and no cat for the life of the car, even if you replace it with a blacktop after IVA (Virtually a straight swap apart from the alternator bracket).

Nigel

Guest filwaf

Thanks guys. Had another chat with Keith at GBS today and he is telling me honestly that £10k is out of the question for a new plate. Had anothe chat with my financial director and appointments secretary ( aka wife ) and decided to go for zetec based car on a new plate. downside is it will push the start date out a while but give me a chance to find some bargains over the next twelve months and look forward to a good build without having to cut too many corners. Also give me time to get my head round engine management systems. It may be that in 12 months time the Zetec is no longer available, but I will cross that bridge as and when I have to. I will still be on the forum while getting the cash together all the while trying to sniff out some bargains ( seats, carpets, 4 point harness, alternators, steering wheels, set of wheels and tyres etc ).

Guest filwaf

Hi Tom,

Keith seemed to think £15K and upwards depending on how much you wanted to put into it.

Its great that he would rather let you know up front than have you over-commit yourself and then be dissapointed with the end product. I would rather back off for a year and look forward to a realy great big grin when I have finishe a car to be truly proud of.

Regds

Welcome to the club buddy. Joining rhocar is probably the best step forward you've made as the collective knowledge in this club is second to none!!!

also get yourself to some of the local meets and shows.....camping at stoneleigh is an experience that cannot be described...it has to be lived!!! Car or no car...it don't matter!

Thanks guys. Had another chat with Keith at GBS today and he is telling me honestly that £10k is out of the question for a new plate. Had anothe chat with my financial director and appointments secretary ( aka wife ) and decided to go for zetec based car on a new plate. downside is it will push the start date out a while but give me a chance to find some bargains over the next twelve months and look forward to a good build without having to cut too many corners. Also give me time to get my head round engine management systems. It may be that in 12 months time the Zetec is no longer available, but I will cross that bridge as and when I have to. I will still be on the forum while getting the cash together all the while trying to sniff out some bargains ( seats, carpets, 4 point harness, alternators, steering wheels, set of wheels and tyres etc ).

Glad you have decided to stick with a Zero. You won't be disappointed. I have a set of unused black 4 point TRS seat belts in the garage if you want them. No rush, just PM me if and when.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
Guest filwaf

Hi Ian,

My £10 k budget has been blown out of the water so i have upped the anti and going for a new plate car with a zetec power plant ( bought it already !! ) So now gathering large ticket items ready for when I order the kit.

Thanks for the comments !