Prop Shaft Fabrication

Guest Big Widdzy

Guest Big Widdzy

Hi guys im tom and new to the forum, just got my gbs zero build set up in the garage and eagerly awaiting to put the diff, prop and drive shafts in

The only problem i have is i dont have a propshaft and according to gbs its better to fit it before you put the diff in. GBS dont know when they will have any in next and i want one pretty soonish

Anyone know if the gbs propshaft (MT75) is different to that westfields or other kit car manufactures.

If so is there anywhere i could get one fabricated?

Cheers

Guest mcramsay

If you are having a prop made pay the extra and have one made by a decent and reputable company, I was reading on locost builders yesterday that Dave walker from Emerald ecu's (tuning god and well known on the kit car scene) had a 7 type car on the rollers and the prop failed when he was doing 120 in 5th gear. From the sound of it the prop was not balanced correctly and threw a wobbly, literally! I think he got away with some leg injuries but nothing too seriously, he reconed if there was a passenger in the car they would have had some more serious injuries. On another notes with a bit of fiddling and patience I managed to get the prop fitted on my zero with both the engine and diff bolted up in place, I did have to move the handbrake out the way and I had no transmission tunnel panels on,

Ditto shaft's advice, diff first, prop shaft in before you fit the gearbox

My experience only - The diff was a s*d to get in and a heavy component to move around in the confined space - last thing you need is the prop shaft getting in the way at the same time.

Agreed, I fitted the diff, drive shafts and rear suspension before fitting the prop. The diff is heavy so I supported it with a trolley jack. Still not easy but it saves knackering your back.

Bob

Hi guys im tom and new to the forum, just got my gbs zero build set up in the garage and eagerly awaiting to put the diff, prop and drive shafts in

The only problem i have is i dont have a propshaft and according to gbs its better to fit it before you put the diff in. GBS dont know when they will have any in next and i want one pretty soonish

Anyone know if the gbs propshaft (MT75) is different to that westfields or other kit car manufactures.

If so is there anywhere i could get one fabricated?

Cheers

Just had a look at the GBS/Kit Spares web site and half of their bits are out of stock. Strange!

I'll echo the diff first prop shaft later sentiment.

Also as it seems you may be getting impatient don't fit the tunnel sides until you have fitted the prop shaft.

its a lot easier to get in and fasten up without them, not impossible with by any means, but a lot easier without them.

Guest Big Widdzy

H guys thanks for the info so quickly, as it turns out we phoned gbs today and they said they have a shaft in stock so that was lucky.

Have been looking attack some of the rho car posts and there is lots of useful information.

Thanks again guys

Tom

interesting discussion, now hopefully resolved.

however.

a lot of the contributers of the well meaning advise above are not aware that the chassis has been modified. and much of the advise given, is out of date.

after a costly error I check everything with GBS, as RichardL, I would advise everyone does the same.

Timely post this as I am going to be (shortly once i'm well enough to get under the car to measure!) getting a prop made by Bailey Morris.

Have spoken to them and am impressed with their approach.

I'm running the original RH prop supplied with the kit