Poker Pop-Up?

Guest RoborRoss

Guest RoborRoss

I've just started seeing the poker pop up when logging into this forum as many others have done.

My machine is 100% clean so is it possible the site has been compromised in some way?

Thoughts admins?

Ta

Rob

Guest Alan_builder

Sorry Rob.

I don't have the pop up.

Its on your machine.

Unfortunately your AV software is not up to the job.

I sell a professional product £70+ Vat for 3 years. Its a managed product and if I cant clear your problem the manufacturer will. Its often too expensive for non business users but if you need it give me a PM

I've been getting the poker popup for weeks.

Only ever on the rhocar site, only from pc's (not iPad) and only ever when im opening the website for the first time of the day.

I appreciate my personal pc av may not be up to date but my work pc is 100% clean and they spend shed loads of money on av, firewalls, routine pc checks etc...

I've even had works IT manager have a double check of my pc and he's confirmed it's clean and must be the website.

After I close the poker pop up it doesn't appear until the first log-in of the following day so I've just put up with it.

Guest aidankinnell

I've also been getting the pop up for a couple of weeks. Home pc now clean but a number of Trojans found after visiting the site, work pc being rebuilt after visiting the site and getting infected. I know both machines were clean before the poker virus issues.

Work also spend huge amounts on our pc protection and they put the issues down to the site. They've also now blocked the site to protect the network.

Guest Alan_builder

Making an educated guess Mat won't be using a windows server, it will be nix based, linux or unix etc or Apache. These servers are much more robust than the Win offering and are not subject to the pop up being introduced. Further there will be a proper Firewall again Nix or Apache based, impenetrable, compared with Win. With the correct tools Win with the normal home AV takes as long as 15 seconds to be breached.

Guest shaggy

I would imagine its your pc's, I've never seen the poker pop up - ever, and am a regular user of the site.

I use grisoft, and they are usually way ahead of most commercial avg companies

Si

hows your holiday?

30hrs on the coach isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I'll get back to you on that after the return trip home on Saturday/Sunday.

Ive over eaten, had too much sun, and fed up of looking at all the italian women in short skirts.

Not paying for beer is great but on the other hand tho, i can't wait to get back and get cracking on the v8 cos I'm not use to goin this long without tinkering with something car or steam engine related!

• Like 1

Guest RoborRoss

Sorry Rob.

I don't have the pop up.

Its on your machine.

Unfortunately your AV software is not up to the job.

I sell a professional product £70+ Vat for 3 years. Its a managed product and if I cant clear your problem the manufacturer will. Its often too expensive for non business users but if you need it give me a PM

I work in IT and don't scrimp when it comes to security. I regularly use malwarebytes to scan, which incidentally only ever finds tracking cookies on my wife's profile, and run Bitdefender 2012. I've done a bit of checking and the popup blocker was off under my wife's profile when I accessed the forum earlier. It was then that the popup appeared and Bitdefender jumped all over the Trojan that the popup tried to install. Under my profile, with popup blocker active, there is no issue. So, it looks like a malicious popup it being triggered by something on this site.

My Av software is well up to the job as it detected the issue immediately and prevented the installation of the malware. It's when you don't get an alert that you need to worry!

Just saying that someone needs to look into this. Heck, I might even do it myself and report back my findings.

I regularly visit this site with Chrome (used to use firefox) and "better pop up blocker" and I have not seen any of these issues.

Did it start when the flash video was added? I also use "Flash blocker" for unwanted adverts and adblock as well and these seem to kill most adverts.

It also has the bonus of reducing the memory usage of Chrome which can be quite astounding compared to the others.

I know it doesn't answer the question, but It may help others to avoid other nasties out there.

Simon.

Guest Alan_builder

Alan, you clearly know a great deal more about this than me!

In a nutshell then, is the rhocar site infected and as such matt needs to sort it, or is it our pc's that need sorting?

In a nutshell then, its our pc's that need sorting?

----------------------

Try Addaware, or the items RoborRoss suggests.

Better still change operating systems, Red Hat, Fedora, Ubuntu or any of the other Linus compositions. Guess what, no popups I bet!.

Guest RoborRoss

I'm really not that bothered as its not causing me an issue. It's just that a few users had mentioned this recently and I experienced it my self on a well protected machine, but using my wife's profile with Internet explorer with popup blocker turned off. Turn it on and it's fine. No issue with safari or chrome or Firefox, just Internet explorer. Something on the home page must be triggering the popup in IE. probably one of the ad links?