Vinyl Trimming Advice

Jamiep

Hello folks, can anyone give me some tips of trimming a centre console I've made.

I've got some thin foam camping mats and some decent quality black vinyl to give a slightly padded feel. What adhesive do you recommend? I have watched a couple of programs lately which show trimmers using spay adhesive and being able to peel and reposition their fabric a couple of times yet still pull it tight, I'm guessing they don't use evostick.

Does anyone have any links to YouTube videos you have found useful when doing yours, I'm quite looking forward to doing this but would prefer not to make to many daft mistakes that will cost money.

Thanks,

Jay.

Guest JammyJim

I found the spray adhesive didn't work to well with vinyl, would recommend using a regular spreadable contact adhesive, Unibond or Evostick you pay a little more but results are better.

Guest scrabster

hi, use the heat resistant glue,the other stuff bubbles up with heat but shrinks back when cool.i had to re-do all of mine a second time.

regards,jess.

I don't use any adhesive on the vinyl that will be showing on the face of the panel. Spray carpet adhesive on the back of the panel and edges of the vinyl that wrap round the back. You can then tension and adjust the overlaps till all creases are gone and final fix with staples.

Nigel

Thanks for the ideas I think I'll do some test pieces fully glued, edges glued etc and see which works for me. I have used normal plywood to make the console as I had a free supply. Should I varnish it first for moisture protection or will that affect the glue?

you can varnish if you want but i wouldn't see it being an issue either way. If you leave your car out and its in a damp area (like mine :( ) then maybe varnish or suchlike would be useful but make sure its properly dry before you attempt glueing. Although saying that my dash is hardboard untreated and is still perfect despite the rain (inside and out!)

When i've glued vinyl i've just used spray contact adhesive (http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhesives+Sealants/General+Adhesives/Adhesive+Spray+500ml/d180/sd2340/p47790_) the only problem i ever get is when i get trigger happy and lay a lot down as the solvent can leak through a bit on thinner cloths. So just a nice even thin coat on both would do the trick. if you pull it all nice and tight and staple then you don't need tons of glue to hold it down.

I think from memory i did the same as Longboarder but i know other bits like the arm rest bits are fully glued with no problem.

hth