I'm New To This

Guest Darren2010

Guest Darren2010

I have just bought what I believe to be a Robin Hood kit car!?

So I am looking for advice. it has a sort of conventional chassis and not a tubular one, is this right?

It has a chassis number etched on to the top of the chassis N/S front is this right?

It has tin side panels with fiberglass front wings and rear arches.

Solid rear axle with trailing arms and wishbones and shockers on the front.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Darren

I believe this will be one of Richards "Specials" the front suspension top part looks to be partly Triumph, but the bottom arm is completely different, that looks to be one of Richards fabrications. With you saying that it has a live axle, it then has to be either Dolomite, or Cortina, certainly not Sierra. although it has a ford engine in it now. You'd need to find out what rear axle is has in, Triumph or Ford.

The wheels look like Triumph.

That front suspension is not one of the "Mass produced" kits, the main tub is similar to the ones fitted to the early monocoques, as it has the very wide chassis "box sections"

Chassis number is a complete red herring, in those days, a builder could make up his own chassis number, and so long as when DVLA came to register it, there wasn't another vehicle already registered with that number, bingo!, you got it.

Check out the log book, see if there's any clues there.

Guest Darren2010

The rear axle is similar, I think, there is no anti roll bar and my shockers go straight up into the "boot space" and look like old mini ones?. I am having a proper look tomorrow evening. I will try and get some more photo's. Thanks for the help, it is most appreciated.

it does look like a special - could it be a modified cortina front subframe to take double wishbones and coilovers?

Whatever it is, welcome! :drinks: