New Wiring Loom

steve_wilson

hi all

I've been working on the 2b for the last couple of months changing from sliding pillars to wishbones, and i'm not too happy with the overall wiring of the car.

since getting the car on the road I had a small accident where some wiring got caught in the viscous pinto fan. I've changed to megajolt, electric fuel pump, etc etc

all these alterations and accidents have made the wiring untidy, and a nightmare if I ever had to fault find.

so i'm wondering where the best place for a replacement loom is?

i'm after as simple as it gets, really don't want the weeks of frustration I had with the Vicky green one, quite happy to pay the extra for a plug and play one - if such a thing exists

thanks, steve

Guest Manu.j3

Otherwise you have this :

http://www.kitspares.co.uk/shop/item.php?cat=5&product=8941&catsub=0

http://www.kitspares.co.uk/shop/item.php?cat=5&product=4757&catsub=0

http://www.kitspares.co.uk/shop/item.php?cat=5&product=4758&catsub=0

If you want to change the engine, they have one on sell with the loom. It's plug and play and well done.

I would leave it as it is at the moment and treat it to a full rewire as part of the engine swap.

When it come to the time break it down into small sections ie, ignition, starting and charging, nsf lights, osf lights, nsr lights, osr lights, engine and fuel pump/s and sender.

Add a decent fusebox with enough fuse slots and a set of relays, I have six for main beam, dip beam, horn, fuel pump, rad fan and ignition. Take your time, use proper crimp on connectors and you can produce a really good loom that won't let you down in a couple of days

• 3 weeks later...
Guest snowy2

Rewiring from scratch is an absolute doddle i have done dozens of cars. a good weekend will see it done. i could post a link to an article with wiring diagrams if you want.

I have to say that I have an Omex running my Zetec and buying the part built engine loom from them made the whole thing really easy to cable up, I would consider using the loom from the ECU supplier if I was you. It may also mean that if the engine bay wiring is your problem you can remove a lot of it and replace with the ECU loom and maybe keep the rest, really depends on what the issue is.

Guest mcramsay

Rapidfitlooms.co.uk used there loom on my zero, makes the premier loom look rubbish in comparison, and Richard will make any alterations to the loom that you need. It flew into my zero with no probs. and half the price of other looms. Really good instructions also can't rate them high enough

• 2 months later...
Guest Oscarborder

Rewiring from scratch is an absolute doddle i have done dozens of cars. a good weekend will see it done. i could post a link to an article with wiring diagrams if you want.

I would welcome a link to your wiring diagrams.

Regards

Gerry

i wrote it years ago ( mid 1980's and again in 2008 for the DOC club magazine.) and the most often question is "are the chock blocks not a problem" and all i can say is that my current car has done over 25000 miles over 5 years with out any problem (electrically speaking) a car i wired in the 1980's still uses them and the new owner says he doesn't have any issues with the chock blocks (once he was reminded that they were there it suddenly started to worry him.....weird )