Removing 2B Front Arches

Guest Dave Skirrow

Guest Dave Skirrow

Both my front arches have fallen off and I've managed to weld them back in position but I'm not sure how long it's going to last so I plan to remove them and make stronger mountings for them.

Is it easy to remove them from the sliding pillar suspension? The arch mount sits under the spring. Do I just unbolt everything that looks like it should unbolt and lift the parts away or is there anything I should know about?

I'm guessing asking for torque specifications when putting it back together is a little optimistic?

you need some spring compressors..they are a royal pain to get off..DO NOT attempt with out compressing the spring

Youll need to make a thicker plate with triangular fillet to strengthen the bracket. its one of the weak spots on a sliding pillar set up

make sure you have all the item in the correct place on reinstall too,including an upper and lower bump stop

And torque settings..lol

would recommend rebuilding the pillars while off. check the bottom of the chrome bar as the m9 threaded bit tends to break, got mine drilled out and m12 threaded shaft put in by local engineering place. would also recommend getting a replacement bearing for the top as mine were cracked but a little hard to get hold of as they are part of a McPherson strut.

as said they are a pig to remove and to put back so may as well do some preventative maintenance while they are off even if the m9 is ok as it will go eventually.

Guest Dave Skirrow

Cheers fellas, might just try to get some more weld on them while they are in place and do a proper job over the winter in that case. I need to be on the road in this weather, not in the garage wrestling suspension parts...

its only a couple of hours to strip weld and refit. that's how long it took me..

I tried to bodge it myself..200 miles later arch hanging off again. nearly broke it too , so possible higher costs

Guest Dave Skirrow

Cheers, I don't suppose there is any instructions anywhere on taking them apart is there? Or was this on the original build videos? Wouldn't mind having a look at what's involved step by step before I get involved.

Also, will taking them apart mess up any of the suspension settings? I'm quite happy with how it handles despite all the bad press the sliding pillar gets so I don't want to mess it up if I can avoid it.

Guest chris brown

Unfortunately the build videos don't help as as you have found they break. But as has been said above it soon becomes obvious where they need beefing up and as Bob says using flat bar for the top section under the wings is a big improvement.

its not difficult to strip down and there are no settings ,just bolt back where you took it off from.

pushing the top mount in further increases camber, but if it has been altered there would be multiple holes in the top mount

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Dave Skirrow

Can anyone give me an idea of the order to do things. I've got as far as getting the wheel off!

I haven't compressed the spring as I can't fit the spring compressor into the gap between the springs. Looks like the shocks might be preventing it going any further. Never done these before and I'm a bit scared I'll hurt myself or knacker something as I have no idea of the proper order to do it in.

photo+%252864%2529.jpg

I used the exact same compressors.

You need to grind off some of the tongue that fits between the coils.

DO NOT release the spring without the compressor....they are under a lot of compression.

Sorry but I did mine 12 years ago & the memory has failed me on how I did it.

There a re some build DVDs out there that RHE made.... I expect someone can help with a copy...???

Guest Ian & Carole

Once you have made the compressors "fit" put some strong cable ties or something like binder twine around to hold the compressors onto the springs. They are capable of taking a finger or two off if you don't treat them with respect.

I use motorcycle compresors. they are smaller in size and slip in. but that's the hardest part to do. just be carefull

and wind each side a bit at a time to stop them slipping round.

Guest Dave Skirrow

I don't suppose anyone has a link to compressors that fit out of the packet? I have just bought these and could return them rather than take any chances if there is a better option

Maccavvy, do you mean this sort of thing - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-4764-Motorcycle-Spring-Compressor/dp/B0034HF6TG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373918342&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+spring+compressor